View Single Post
Old December 20th 2002, 23:35

kdanie,
Thanks for you reply. Your using everything in your application that I requested in my thread. 30mm gears in the oil pump are OK. Pressure relief valve cover is OK.
All of this came about because I had a Mazda RZ 7 oil cooler in the front of my 914, that DIDN'T open. I would be done with a 20 session of a DE event in Colorado in the summer and the cooler would not open. Some say the cooler would operate at tempeture, or oil pressure. RX7 had great oil pressure, my 1.8 motor had nothing. The problem was solved when I switched to a MoCal. NO more oil cooler problems at all.
The theory of the oil coming from, and to the same location bothered me. The sandwich plate was the outlet and inlet at the same time. The pressure relief valve cover would be the key to keeping the engine from blowing everything up with all that pressure. I definitely did not like the small filter that was used. With the sandwich plate the oil filter was even smaller. Now I can use a Fram HP1, with about twice the filtering size.
I'd like to hear from all who have used this type of setup with the type 1 pump in a type 4. Thanks again for your input
Ron