View Single Post
Old November 8th 2005, 03:05

Four grand? I don't think a 2270 is four grand.

In my case, I'm not looking for max HP. I know 200 is too much for me because a 1.8T doesn't make 200 in stock form and that's plenty in an A4 platform. Given how much lighter a Super is, I think I could come up with a comparative scaling of what HP and torque I might desire given the known natures (to me) of a 2.0, a 1.8T, an a TDI and compensating for the lighter weight.

73notch correctly surmised I want a reliable engine. I don't want one to be capable of 150 MPH and keeping me tied up every weekend tinkering with it.

A water-cooler in stock form is still going to require tinkering because it is unnatural in a bug. There are special needs for cooling and plumbing. The balance of the car will be affected by the extra weight. This will require "tuning" the suspension, or replacing it more often.

I admire the pioneers who embark on this course or similar.

I am not a pioneer.

I want a "normal" pocket rocket -- that is, one that might have been offered by VW today if the Super were still being made.

Do you know how fast my Cabrio goes? Neither do I. I have never taken it to its max in the four years I have owned it. I know it will do more than 100 because I have driven it that fast, and there was more to give. I know it will happily sustain 90 because there has been occasion for me to do that, too.

But that is not my normal driving. I like knowing I can push it if I need to. The only reason I want to get a s/c for it is so I can punch it up more quickly if the situation calls for it. My Cabrio is in no particular hurry to achieve those speeds even though once there, it offers no complaint.

That's what I want out of my Super. Pep to shake loose bothersome slow pokes who adhere to speed limits too closely. Speed to handle any lane on any interstate at any given time. Reliability such that routine maintenance is all that is needed for the entire car, and anything else needed is non-routine.

I like the low-end torque of my TDI, the punch of my 1.8T, and the hasslefree nature of my 2.0.

Price was not mentioned because it is fourth in line. That does not mean price is no object. It simply means I'm okay paying a bit extra to get all three attributes. If getting all three attributes is too prohibitive, I will then lower my standards.