View Single Post
Old November 24th 2005, 07:27

This topic reminds me about Ducati's....Seems like everybody on the planet that doesn't own them states "Valve adjustements every 3K miles....they're just too much/high maintenance..." Yet, the people that really own them find it's not as hyped up as people make it to be.....

I know Jake, you stated quality, or lack thereof of the Chinese cranks....but if it's not broke......

This isn't to say they aren't crap, but if multiple people are using them, and are having no issues, who really cares?

Based off of the 4 people I know PERSONALLY(seems like everybody these days goes off internet "I knows") that have stroker T1's, all of them have nothing BUT a reliable motor. When I say reliable, I say no major issues. They don't even do the much heated valve adjustments. Most have electronic ignition, but even still have no electrical issues. Cars start right up, and is just like any modern day engine and recieve no attention that any other engine wouldn't recieve, except it's air cooled.

Of them 4, 2 of them had a Serrano engine. One had misc built pieced motor, lots of Autocraft parts, assembled by a local shop, and the other guy, I dunno where he got his motor/tranny from, but it was somebody out in cali, where he now moved back to.

As far as the Porsche comment...I don't really think that's an arguement, more as it is a statement. As most people can and would drive a 911 if truly given the option, but it's not that....it's something totally different that drives you to do what we're doing...kinda like that ricer who drives a $50K Civic. It's faster than a Vette, and hell, he dropped all $50K at one time, yet, he'd still rather drive his Civic.

I think this topic is making some great points. Like stated in other threads, having the AC motor in the bug is what more or less seperated the Beetle from everyother little ecobox car with a huge motor. Although, it's a blanket statement, most of it holds valid except the out of box great chassis that the bug has. Most Ecobox cars don't have the handling STOCK that bugs do...

But what it boils down to, is how dedicated to wanna be to it. Even if you don't wanna be "the top dawg", everybody wants the most for your money. Are you really willing to drop that many thousand dollars on an aircooled motor, especially a TIV if the most uneconomical choice (pricewise) of the bunch, just to say you're staying true to the ACVW GL? I mean like stated, that's alot of dough to be dropping just to stay aircooled.

To put it into perspective. The COVETED Type R motor with low miles INCLUDING tranny, ECU and wiring harness is ballpark $5K. That's 200HP straight out of the factory box with low miles and Honda "beat the **** outta me and I can still take more" reliability. All OEM from the factory, so you have a completely stock 200HP motor. Granted, if you drop that into a Civic, it won't be as fast as a Bug with a $5K/200HP worth of motor in it, but the point is, that guy with a Honda spent $5k for a complete package. I mean hell, even the V8 guys are spending only $5-9K on a V8 crate motor and getting 500-800HP... They might be getting "cheap parts", but thier motor is just as reliable and is running the same HP numbers/times at the track as the guy with the $20K GM Factory performance engine who wanted to stay true to his roots/pay for the R&D.....

Last edited by oicdn; November 24th 2005 at 07:31.