View Single Post
Old February 2nd 2012, 04:31
Administrator

Well, I was down in Vancouver tonight for a club meeting...but upon returning home I was stoked to try and get my hour in on the car. I have a rule that says a minimum of one hour per day, and you can't bank any hours nor can you make them up. So, into the garage I went!

Wanting to keep relatively clean, I figured with the battery hooked up I could start checking and trouble shooting the wiring that I've done. I did have to do some work to the front fuse panel, at some point I forgot to bridge the fuse blocks so that half the fuses were powered by the ignition circuit and the other half are powered directly from the battery. Once I diagnosed and fixed that, it all went relatively quickly.

- Warning lights, working.
- Fuel pumps, working...but wow are they loud. Whomever suggested I double rubber-mount them? Definitely going to need to!
- Rally computer, powers up on either the ignition or battery power (selected via switch).
- Gauges that are wired in all power up.
- Gauge lights working (can't test any of the others as they're just wires at the moment)
- Gas Heater powers up, and the pump works

So with that, it was onto the speedo and rally computer sensors. After mounting them, I had to make the wiring harnesses. These have connectors on them just before the harness enters the inside of the body, that way if I'm pulling the transmission for any reason I don't have to take the sensor mount off. I probably would, so I don't damage the sensors, but you never know!

Tough to photograph due to the flash, but the rally computer is pulling numbers off the sensor, and so is the speedometer.

By the time it was all said and done, it was a good two and a half hours in the garage. Tomorrow I'll be starting on either the Kafer bar, or the oil system.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap