Thread: T5 Oxy-Boxer
View Single Post
Old January 17th 2003, 12:59

Glad to see you here Type2guy

The years for the Vanagon WBX I think are from '84-'92ish. Any of the motors will work for the case. But some differences exist.

The 1.9 (84-85?) is prefered for the case because the #1 main is like a T4 bearing. The later 2.1 uses a weird three piece bearing that really needs sourced from Europe, and the set costs like $100 for just the bearing set.

Also the 1.9 uses a 69mm crank and the 2.1 a 76.4mm.

It looks like I am going to pick up a 1.9 short block for free as well. But this will be the basis for a large motor for a Beetle. Figure that I will have the 1.9 crank welded up by DMS to like a 82 or 84 and then put in some monster P&Cs. Hopefully with Chevy pistons (cheap) and super custom cylinders. Actually birals if I can pull it off, but home made.... Lots of questions here and very tenative, so if it does not work out no one can hold me to it Then custom drilled badboy heads for the WBX pattern (Joe is working on this part)... I have not even guessed how big it will be, and I am almost afraid how much HP it would produce... But fun!

... I better get bigger rear wheels and wide fiberglass fenders! And a roll cage.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe