View Single Post
Old April 3rd 2008, 14:21

5-speed LSD Thing

I apologize in advance for some of this being open-ended. I am still deciding my new direction after the 1302. A pseudo-GL Thing is one of my thoughts currently in my Top Three. (I say "pseudo" because I am still at the envisioning phase and haven't figured how hard core I want to be -- perhaps, similar to my former 1302.)

What would any of you suggest the best route to go to get a 5-speed with a limited slip differential for a Type 181?

It will most likely have a Type I engine in it when purchased, so that is a consideration. Unless the engine is something very special, I would likely go to a Type IV engine later.

I sort of envisioned a fairly low first gear with two-through-five being driving gears. I also envision setting it up for handling and highway speeds (the GL aspect of it) but I wouldn't want to delete going off-road entirely (although it is not a big concern, and it wouldn't be hard core if I did).

The Thing would most likely be an IRS. I did look at an earlier model with swing axles and trailing arms but the sale of that one is pending. Still, the latter set-up isn't totally out of the question -- just unlikely.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by oasis; April 3rd 2008 at 14:22.