View Single Post
Old April 7th 2008, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone View Post
I have an early 914/901 in my Superbeetle and it works fantastic. The ratios were already correct for the Type IV, and the only mods necessary were replacing the front housing, and shiftrod with 911/901 peices, and flipping the diff. Bug@5speed makes the front housings now, so you don't have to beat the bushes for a hard-to-find 911/901 piece. I thought that making those changes were much easier, and less expensive than changing gear ratios in a 911/901 to work best with a four cylinder engine.
Noted. Thanks!

Quote:
You'll need to find a 914/901 gearbox with a 'tailshifter' configuration. They were used in the earlier 914 cars.
It was my understanding from investigating 914s that these were known for their vagueness and "slop," and that's why they were changed for the 1973 model year.

Quote:
Using either 901 is cheaper than a Berg 5 speed ... The limited slip will be ungodly expensive any way you do it in a 901, unless you luck up, and find a gearbox that already has one that the race car guys haven't found yet.
So, no one makes a limited slip for a 901? I need to scrounge, beg, or steal? Does the LSD consideration make the Berg more plausible if I decide to be set in that frame of mind? (I am not a Berg fan but I will do what I have to do.)