View Single Post
Old September 4th 2002, 11:17

Oliver, Interesting thought, but I doubt we are THAT far behind the Germans. I think the big difference in the engines is the cams and heads.
I think the cam duration is measured a little differently between europe and the US, but I am not sure, we usually compare durations at .050" lift as opposed to advertised lift. Our cam manufacturers say there is little flow below .050" lift so duration added under that lift will have no real effect on HP. I think it would help valve train longivity though by starting and stoping the valve with an easier motion. My cam is a custom hyraulic grind using the WBX intake lobe profile on both intake and exhaust. Over .050" it is compareable to a 285/.420" lift performance cam but the ramps are gentler. Duration from the time the valve starts moving is over 300 deg.
I have heard that square exhaust port heads are more common in Germany. In the US we tend to stay away from them, some say they don't flow well but mostly due to exhaust system availablity, which isn't very good for our oval port head anyway! Some of our better engine builders are just now finding out how well a good set of CNC ported square port heads can flow.
What compression do you tend to run in Germany? Over here 9-1 is considered high by most people. Piston/combustion chamber technology is advancing though, allowing 12-1 on 93 octane pump gas, but people are slow to embrace change!
I always enjoy hearing the German side of things, knowlege is good and I am more open minded than most of the ACVW people in the states.
ken