View Single Post
Old June 22nd 2006, 03:38

Hi,

the 901, 911/01 and 914 gearboxes are engineered on the same basis. The 914 gearboxes have longer gears and are better for usage with big engines like yours. The 901 and 911/01 are good for well done type1 and smaller high revving type 4.
All these types stand torque of about 270 Nm without any problems. Have a lot of customers who drive cars with more than 200 PS with type 4 engines with 2.4 or 2.7 litres capacity.
If you plan to have more torque (what I donīt believe), then choose the early 915s (as mentioned above). This gearbox stands up to 350 Nm easily, but is bigger and weighs about 10 kg more than the 901-type. With my conversion parts you canplace the 915-gearbox in the same place as a type 1-gearbox. So, you wonīt loose any space in the motor compartment.
The 901-types are quite easy to install with my conversion parts. There were several reports about my conversions in different magazines, like VW Speed, UltraVW, VW Tech, which show how easy it works.
For a 901 or a 911/01 you have to calculate about 700-1000 Euro to buy a not revised gearbox. The 914 can be bought for about 300-400 Euro. Be aware that in most cases the synchronisation of the 1st gear is completely worn out. Then synchro ring, dog teeth and the synchro sleeve have to be made new. These parts cost about 900 Euro (together) if you buy them from Porsche. If bearings are damaged or worn out, then mostly the gears are worn out too. But if not, then a set of the main bearings for theses gearboxes costs about 600 Euro.
Sometimes itīs easier and less expensive to buy a revised gearbox.
If you need further info, then please call me, or send me an e-mail to info@bugat5speed.de. Have a look on my site www.bugat5speed.de

Martin