View Single Post
Old January 1st 2012, 13:30

TIV engine project

It really started out as a TI 2332 project for my '56 oval, but has ended up as a TIV 3000 turbo project without a car. I wanted to build a sleeper out of my '56 with the look of a completely original car, but with big power. Since then, due to different circumstances, including Wallys impressive build and results , the TI has been sold, and things have evolved a bit. The '56 is now being restored to completely original deluxe specs.

One of the issues in choice of vehicule for the new engine, is handling. That's why it's not going to be the '56. I'm leaning towards a super, preferably a '75, but being as messed up as I am, you'd actually never know what'll happen.

So, instead it's going to be an original TIV housing, with 90mm full circle crank & 103mm LN Nickies with JE pistons. Other parts on the shelves are vanagon heads, completely redone with extra fins, Pauter rockers, TI lifters, ARP bolts, Riechert cooling and a GT76 turbo with 2 different housings, one 0.81 and one 1.15, unsure of which will be used.

Cam is going to be a JPM raptor and rods from FAT performance, neither of these are on the shelves at the moment.

There are many unsolved issues yet, and there will be a lot of trial and error. The builder has been building TIV engines for more than 25 years, including different turbo and race engines, and some of these engines has been driven for +20 years without major hickups. Yet, this build will only be accomplished by the help of a lot of people, including this GL forum.

Another issue is time. Both the builder and I have many projects on the sides, and as my job includes over 250 travel days a year, this will not be a quick solve. I hope that the longblock will be assembled by May, and maybe turnkey in winter next year. Then comes the issue of the car!

Lets see if this journey will ever end, and I hope that you'll chime in with comments as this (hopefully!) will evolve.

And a happy new year to all of you!