View Single Post
Old January 4th 2010, 03:33
Administrator

Got around to a few more upgrades on the bug. Finished the exhaust tip install, which was a bit of a bear. Welding upside down sucks, but I didn't feel like pulling the motor. Filling 1/4" gaps with weld, while doing it upside down, really sucks. But the end result makes me happy, so it's all good!

They stick out a little further then I was hoping for, but it was either mount them as is, or cut the tips to shorten them. It's a double wall design, which makes it difficult, and you'd be able to see the seam lines...so I left them as is.

Looks like it's running a little rich too! Guess I'll be doing a carb adjustment this week :P

Had to toss the car back on the stock wheels. The track tires are just a little bald, and now the two front wheels need to be re-coated. They rub the very end of the sway bar while turning, and I tore up the powder coating just moving the car in and out of the garage. Not sure what I'm going to do to solve this problem yet, I'm not happy with the option of removing the sway bar and I don't think shortening the ends is going to help any. I was planning on swapping the front bar anyways, so did pull it off and I can drive the car no problem...without the bar. So now I just need to figure out how I'm going to work the bar into the equation.

While the car was in the garage I also reupholstered the seats using the near-mint stuff from the '72. It's sort of weird having padding instead of springs to sit on!

Definitely looking for thoughts on what I can do front suspension wise though...

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap