View Single Post
Old September 25th 2012, 04:07

Cheers for that Graham,

A friend did install a Go-pro in the car during the run those pics are taken, so I would hope to show you later. Image was taken up-side down so some editing needs to be done probably.

The car is pretty stable in low-speed corners though and has very little understeer imo. At least with my driving style, which compared to others, isn't that aggressive or so I heard. of course they were just too chicken to tell me I didn't give it 100%
But in all seriousness, I don't have a trailer with me so I don't push it into risking spinning or crashing. And that leaves some time on the table. So be it.

There is however still a problem when accelerating hard towards (and past) about 120-125 mph (190-200 km/h) where the car wants to change direction too easy (too much from only very little steering input) or almost by itself. Same I felt at Spa-Francorchamp. Although rear coil overs would surely help some (its too soft in the rear atm), the real problem is very probably aero related is my conclusion of the past years.
Without a rear wing of some sort, the beetle shape gets very light in the rear and any imbalance from wind or slight steering input gets eggagurated (sp?) and it just feels instable then and its not the front!

Last year with the same TimeAttack round at the same track I used my modified simple single flat plane rear wing and it felt just fine I can remember. So I will try to make a little nicer and will probably not run on a track without it anymore.
Funny thing is, EVERY other make of car, especially in the faster classes runs a rear wing, while my beetle, who's shape REALLY needs it the most, didn't have a rear wing (the ducktail is too low for that qualification) because... it looks a bit odd or ugly to others...
By now, having felt what I did in the car, I think I'am finally past that