View Single Post
Old December 15th 2006, 00:24

Post Howto: Removable apron (including adjustment access for carbs)

Hi everyone,

I will try to make myself clear and detail how I did my removable apron that includes adjustment access for carbs (as typical dub setup of pair of dual webers or dells makes them virtually impossible to adjust in place). I will be very detailed, exactly the kind of info I was desperate to find before getting in but without success. Hoping this will be useful for someone around. Here is the step by step method I used:

1- Remove rear fenders and the sealing rubber between the engine and the engine compartment.
2- Draw the carb adjustment windows required. Mine measure 4.5”x9” but depending on your application, they can vary from 4” to 6” wide by 8” to 9” long.
3- Cut the opening carefully avoiding touching anything on the other side, like say, CARB or fuel line... Keep the cutouts, you’ll need them. At this point, it should look like this (minus the parting, of course):

4- Form a plate to bolt around the opening. I did mine from an aluminum plate ¼” thick of 8”x11” (make sure to have 1” around wider than the opening). It require bending to fit the body profile, you can use the cutouts as a guide. Drill mounting hole around the plate and in place.
5- Drill the final carb adjusting opening in the plates. Make them smaller than the cutout that you’ll be using for cover. I drilled and tap for #10 screws and sealed with seam and joint sealer. Cover finished:

Last edited by martilo; December 15th 2006 at 01:13.