View Single Post
Old May 7th 2009, 14:01

Thanks for the responses. Thanks, Steve, for the link as well as the attachment. Yes, that illustration does explain offset clear enough for even me to understand. I will check the link with the hope that I will gain an understanding of how wheel and tire size effect handling and performance.

After reading Humble's post I am now even less sure of what sized wheel that I should go with.

To cite Humble: ... Sport bug 15 x 5.5" et26 in front and the same style rims but from a 914 (15 x 5.5 maybe et 15 or et 0 by the deep dish look) and they looked awesome. If I still had stock pattern disks I would toss those on in a heartbeat.

If I understand correctly, Humble seems to indicate that the smaller wheel is better for handling.

If I recall rightly when I first started this project (way back when) I was considering 15" tele-dial or Fuchs wheels. Last week somone mentioned that these are not as readily available (read as inexpensive) as the 17" which I should find through the local PCA chapter.

Wheel and tire availability and cost will factor into my decision. (Obviously, so too will handling and looks. On that note, Sandeep has attached a photo of his wheel set-up on a recent post - this look really appeals to me. A great photo of a great set-up.)

My goal is a superb handling agile car that will prove a friendly daily driver. (By this I don't imply that I am looking for a soft cushy ride to and fro work. I do like to feel the road.) As for tires, I will need to either run all seasons or summers and winters should I decide to run the car during are usual brief and moderate winters here in metro Vancouver.

Again, as I do require all four fenders (arches, wings) width is not a real issue here.

Thanks again for the interest.

Cheers,

Coupet