View Single Post
Old November 19th 2006, 12:54

Broken pistons skirts...

Ok, here is something that I am not sure of but willing to try...

My Fastback's motor is blocked solid, so I tried to undo the flywheel nut with a spanner (bad idea, i hate if if I dont have the proper tools to do the job. Tomorrow I am going after work to buy a heavy duty socket set with bigger sockets!!!!) anyway, so I thought. As I am loosening the flywheel nut, I see a part of the piston skirt fall on the floor. First I thought that it was just part of the damage caused by the seized motor. With the second piece of skirt falliing on the ground, I realised that this motor is not as locked up as I thought. The thing turned bit by bit as I hamfisted hammered away on the spanner!! Bugger.

So, having read somewhere once before that someone trimed skirts off the bottom of pistons, I was wondering if I can 'repair' these pistons (other than the two broken skirts, these pistons looks perfect!?) by balancing them out? I was thinking about removing the same amount of skirting oposite to the broken off part, and then balance all 4 pistons with a digital scale?

The way I understand the purpose of the skirts on pistons is to prevent unwanted 'rocking' of pistons in the sleeves. However, the piece that broke off, if I level the bottom of the 'new' skirt with the top of the pistons, there will still be a small skirt left.

Would anyone recommend this or not, and more importantly, WHY not?

Thanks fellas.