View Single Post
Old November 7th 2005, 22:50

Keep in mind that what I have is a combination of many years of VWs for the drivetrain. There is a MkIII subframe, MkII control arms, MkIII tranny, MkIV engine. If you tried to make your MkIV stuff fit in, you'd have a rear end that is about 3" wider than what I already have. On top of which, MkIVs have a pendulum mount for the motor, and unless you are interested in cutting more body than I already have, the pendulum mount won't fit, though it is much better for handling high HP. The main thing is the track of the drivetrain, and MkIV is WAY wider than MkII.

I was at Infinion Raceway this weekend for BMW CCA track "school" with my M3. Parked next to me was a Noble M12, a Lotus Elise, and a Ford GT. It was rough. Anyway, I got a chance to spend a lot of time looking at the Noble and the Lotus. The Lotus is almost exactly the same layout as my bug, but it has a much shorter wheelbase. They just put a Toyota motor in there, but it sits exactly where mine 1.8t does in relation to the rear wheels. It made me feel better. I just hope my suspension geometry lends itself to some good handling.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S