View Single Post
Old February 6th 2012, 15:42

Well, obviously, you mentioned money, and that certainly will be an issue with some. I see two other concerns -- (1) What sports car is you basis? (2) Where do you draw the line about a bug being a bug?

(1) If you comparing a GL bug to a Mazda Miata, my bug would have lost it before reaching fourth gear. And it only had a carbed 2056 T4 with upgrades in suspension, brakes and tires as well. Things get more difficult when one talks about an RX-7, a Corvette, an NSX, and on and on. At some point at whatever cost, the bug will meet its limit before it reaches some sports cars' limits.

(2) Although theSamba ads for race cars are almost exclusively drag racers, one can see looking through there many "bugs" are nothng more than a shell with fiberglass parts, a special chassis, etc., etc. Is it enough to look like a bug? Then, a New Beetle (including the New New Beetle ) might be enough. For some, it needs something -- anything -- from an air-cooled bug to qualify. Perhaps the shell attached to the chassis that houses the doors are enough.

To me if the modifications are that robust, a bug starts losing its "buggieness." If the mods are that obvious and over-the-top, a defeated Corvette owner running stock will take solace in knowing you probably spent more money doing-up your bug that he did with his stock Vette, and he will get more -- a lot more -- when it comes to getting something in return.

My opinion only and meant as an insult to no one -- I draw the line when people stop coming up to me and saying, "I used to own one of those." Sure, I had a Super Beetle; I find out they had a '64. I had a modified Type IV engine; they had a 40 HP dynamo. They had 4½-inch wide stock wheels whereas I had BBS's from a limited edition Jetta. Whatever, but to the average Joe or Jane, I had what they once had.

I took more pleasure in making a Corvette sweat than I would have if I went beyond and won, because in doing so people would have said to me, "You sure did change that bug" instead of saying they used to have one, too.

Again, no insult to anyone, but this is precisely why I cannot get excited about Subaru conversions. Even if all of my concerns were truly addressed (and they're not), I would have a car that reminds people of a bug, in most cases still registered as a bug, but is no longer a bug.

That's my opinion. I understand not everyone shares in that opinion. I understand all of the arguments in dealing with T4 part availability, T1 part quality, bang for the buck, and all that. In some cases, I agree. In some cases, I have counterpoints. I'm not looking for trouble. Heck, I have seen some conversions I thought were very nicely done. Even those still crossed a line in my opinion.

Have I said "my opinion" enough to not ruffle feathers?

My point is you asked a general question about a GL versus a sports car. If that's your fancy, you shouldn't give a hoot what I or anyone else thinks. Since you did ask the question, other opinions must hold some weight. There are going to be people like me who think at some point a bug can be modified for perfomance but extend into a different definition than being a GL. There are many opinions and the proof is the old sticky thread discussing the definition of GL. It's 18 pages strong as of this writing.