View Single Post
Old November 20th 2008, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

The wiring code on those senders is sometimes confused, "G" is for the gauge and "W" is for the warning lamp.

I asked on a WRX forum what sort of pressures do they get at startup, I was told that when cold they peg 10 bar (145 psi) so it sounds like you have the correct gauge.

Can you get a VDO agent to check it out for you?

I've used VDO gauges for years and I've never had a problem.

Steve
Ahh, G meaning gauge would make sense. The one I have does have two posts, but in the instructions it shows one post for ground and the other for signal, rather than having a floating ground. I'm pretty sure one terminal is labelled G and the other S, but I'd have to check when I get home in a week. I didn't get around to trying to flip them and experimenting but will try it next time I fire it up.

Thanks

EDIT: upon further research I must have the sender you mentioned, with one terminal for the oil light. It seems that is all that is available. This would make sense with the gauge hooked to the light terminal, it would be full open and peg the gauge. The one thing that worries me now is that when I was driving around (a slow test run) the gauge went to zero a couple times meaning oil pressure dropped below 11.4 psi (the pressure the gauge is set to turn on the light), it would ground the wire which would put the gauge to zero. Better getting the gauge working and get the full story on oil pressure.

Last edited by Eatoniashoprat; November 20th 2008 at 19:58.