View Single Post
Old December 17th 2002, 01:53

Ok Dave, I went and read the Zone 7 rulebook just to see what you could do. Not much really, except to use higher quality parts.
So, go with the nickies that alone should really help when you run autox to keep things cooler.
Blueprint this baby like a race motor where everything is as close to perfect as possible.
As for the Djet, the go to a dyno shop and tune the MPS to run at the right A/F mixtures at partload and WOT under load.
Before I did this my oil temps would skyrocket to 240 degrees during runs. I share my car with my son so we go eight times! After tuning the MPS I stay under 210 degrees on a 80' day.
A 200,000 mile engine, well I don't think the heads/valve guides were ever designed to last that long (heads 100k maybe). But the rest can especially with the nickies. There are several cars I have seen that were into the 160k range that ran really nice, of course they had been maintained. Sadly, most 914 haven't as you well know.
Cost, probably into the $5000 range with the nickies.....
Using Megasquirt might be the answer the the FI problems and squeeze some extra hp out of a motor at high rpm.
Geoff