View Single Post
Old December 31st 2002, 15:48

Re: Some interesring points....

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Knuf
Ok, I would use a 911 cooling system, maybe horizontal mounted with an external oil cooler and modified intake runners, but stock intake diameters. Just an idea. I would use a modern cam, that produces more hp, as most modern cams can produce more hp than the stock unit. Use the lightest stock parts, like the 8mm rockers with swivel foot on straight mounted shafts, use 94,5mm bore original Kolbenschmidt (as this is the rule), use a fuel regulator instead of the original non-regulating fule pressure holder. Redisigning of the C/C is helpful, as you can design it to modern aspects. If you would have a European engine sheet, why not updating the engine to a European config engine? If you can run a European engine, it would be very helpful!
Changing the cam grind is not allowed. I'm not sure how else a "modern cam" could produce more HP than stock, other than by having a different grind. The cam, due in large part to the experience of the folks over on the Shoptalk BBS, would be Web-Cam's stock grind.

When you say "fuel regulator", do you mean a fuel pressure regulator that is referenced to manifold vacuum? (The stock one maintains a constant pressure.) This would require tweaking the FI parts to correct the mixture, but that can be done.

I cannot redesign the combustion chamber--porting the heads is not allowed. Polishing them to eliminate "hot spots" is arguable, and would be done if it were worthwhile for that.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "European engine sheet". The rules, as written, apply to stock US-spec 914s (that's what you can start modifying from). The GB-code engines had an 8.0:1 compression ratio, which is not allowed in the class I wish to run, so I cannot use a European-spec motor.

--DD