View Single Post
Old December 29th 2011, 21:18

Maybe I can chime in with my opinion. I'm in the middle of building a '64 karmann ghia with an irs chassis. I decided to go with a Subaru. My biggest push to go Subaru is cost. For far less than a type 4 or type 1, I can have a reliable Subaru. Even with the cost of the radiator, computer, adapter... the cost is far less, but the work is far more. Also I actually started this project about 7 or 8 years ago. Subaru wasn't really as big then, so it was a good challange.

The biggest challenges for putting a Subaru into my Ghia is the waterlines. I'm really close now to having the car running and driving. I am not sure at the moment how well the waterlines/radiator will cool the engine. The radiator placement in the ghia was pretty straight forward. In a bus I would imagine mounting the radiator and water lines would be a tough challange.

I don't regret going Subaru. However, my next project will most likely be an aircooled turbo.

Also, I keep coming back to this saying "Cost, Reliability, Power: You can only pick two"
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...