GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 30th 2003, 09:40

Porsche Fan

I was talking to a guy who is wanting to do a custom porsche fan install. We dont get the kitts in South Africa...

Anyway, he was talking about having the 11 blade modified to fit, but was very secretive on the details. What exactly has to be done to the fan?
I dont want the dimesions, just what must be done and why?
Old January 30th 2003, 09:45

instead of modifying anything to fit (what is he modifying to fit what ?), why not just order a 911 kit from overseas?

shipping will not cost you that much at all....

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 30th 2003, 17:22

Parts are pretty damn expensive down here, I think he got the fan at a discounted price. What did he modify? I dont know, that is what I am trying to find out
Old January 30th 2003, 19:03

When a 911 fan is mounted on a type 4 engine, the fan itself is not modified. The outer fan ring is turned on a lathe to reduce the outside diameter. I'm not positive why this is necessary, I would guess it is for distributor clearance. I don't know if type 1 conversions require this modification.
ken
Old January 30th 2003, 23:49

I don't know the real reason for turning the outer ring smaller either. It could be for clearance between the decklid, or at the distributor, as already mentioned, or maybe just for a nice fit onto the case, maybe machining advantages, I have no idea.

The standard Porsche diameter is 270mm. A common -modified- diameter is 260mm, this is what Ahnendorp uses for instance. CSP and I think Gerd Weiser (really not sure) have rings that go as small as 240mm, but I don't think these are genuine Porsche parts.

The Australian Sharpbuilt kit ( http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/Sharpbuilt.htm ) utilizes the unmodified Porsche fan assembly and it comes with instructions on how to machine the case. This machining consists of decking the breather tower on the case 41mm lower and it requires a piece of aluminum to be welded into the breather tower opening, this piece comes with the kit. I got this info from various sources online, and have never seen one of these kits in person. The FAT Performance kit fits without any modifications at all I think, but it won't fit under the decklid of a Bug, if that's what you have.

For anyone that is not in a hurry: I have an original Porsche ring modified by Ahnendorp to 260mm for sale. It came straight from Porsche, went on to Ahnendorp and back, it's still in the original box, brandnew, never used. It has a dark brown/grey pickled color. I want to go with the Sharpbuilt kit because it really seems to fit very nice into the engine compartment.

Brian

Last edited by verbeekb; January 31st 2003 at 00:13.
Old January 31st 2003, 07:14

If it fits a T1 and you still have it next year, I might be interested. Priority is to get the 2332 going first.
Old February 5th 2003, 04:40
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

The ring is to be modified to another diameter. That's only done to get it fit into the different shrouds, that are available here and elsewhere. The original diameter is big, too big to close the decklid or to have an uncut decklid. I prefer our system, because you can adapt it to the Standard Porsche rings. Machine the outside ring diameter to 254mm and use it in our shroud with the fitting alternator stand. A 70amp alt is enough and you have a fully working oil filler with breather opening, where oil drains fast through, not like the BAS conversion with a 8mm hole to fill the oil through. 240mm diameter is done for the oldies, you can even run this diameter under a W-decklid of a 1951 model. The diameter is pretty small, but it utilizes an original Porsche Carrera 2 fan with curved blades, same as we use in our fan conversions. Hope this helps!