GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Classifieds > For Sale

Old May 12th 2005, 09:47

1978 Silver Bug & 2.4 Type 4 (UK)

1978 Last Edition Beetle – one of the last 300 german made bugs to enter this country.
1200cc, brilliant runner, solid condition now getting a little cosmetically tatty:

Ziebarted when new so has remained extremely rust free, with signs of very minor repairs to the spare wheel well in the past. Heater channels and floorpans are totally rust free and completely original. Only areas of rust I can find are a little bit by the windscreen, a bit of rust on the seams on the front quarters (not bad though – easily sorted) and the seal clip for the front bonnet – again, very easily sorted out. Wings doors and bonnet are all the original ones that the car had when it left the factory and all in sound rust free condition – another relative rarity. When I bought the car it had just had an engine fire, which I repaired. It’s had all new electrics to the rear end because of this, a replacement genuine volkswagen decklid and I matched the paint in where it was burnt on the bodywork with a can – ideally the car would want a repaint at some stage but is very presentable and usable as is. The bumpers are again, the original hevay & well chromed VW items and are in good condition. Mechanically, the engine had a new carb, alternator and coil fitted after the fire, and runs as swet as a nut. Starts first time, every time. Quite economical too, being the original 1200cc motor. Interior wise its al original, in the special edition blue cord and very nice it looks too. Only problems in the interior are the rear parcel shelf is missing, some damage to the headliner by the rear window due to the fire (new replacement section of headlining included in sale) and a rip on the top edge of the back seat.

The car is currently SORN’d and not MOT’d as I was unsure whether to sell it or keep it when I got my company car, but with a bay and a 63 project bug as well it will reluctantly have to go. It needs a new exhaust for the MOT, which I have bought and will fit before I take it for its MOT. I will put 12 months MOT on it but no tax. I have also bought a set of 2.5” dropped disc brake spindles to lower the front of the car a bit, which I will include in the sale and will fit if you want it lowered, or leave them off if you want it stock. I also have a pair of 5.5” wide rear steel wheels which will be included in the sale (again, I can put them on if you want me to).

I was going to turn the car into a German Looker, but got used to driving in everyday in its stock form, and it is truly usable on a daily basis, with excellent headlights (wow – a bug with good lights!), comfy ride, fan demisters as standard etc. – it’s a great car. Inspection welcome.

All for the priceley sum of £1375 – a true bargain and a car I will genuinely miss…

Also available if you do want to turn it into the german look monster is a Type 4 engine, in 2.4 flavour. Full Porsche Cooling, JE Racing/Mahle thick wall Barrels & forged aluminium Pistons, Wolfsburg Perf. P&p’d 48x38 heads, everything fully balanced, Eurorace cam, BAS exhaust, full Porsche cooling, 44IDF carbs, scat distributor, comes complete with flywheel clutch etc. – everything ready to bolt in to the above car (or any other for that matter). Just stripped down by WPS and inspected, given a clean bill of health then built back up with new bearings etc. by a very well respected engine builder (builds engines for VSM, Manchester) to an extremely high standard.
This engine cost lots and lots (and lots and lots), and I want £3200 for it! I could arrange delivery if you paid for the diesel in my Dads little Citroen C15, so long as it isn’t the other side of the planet.

Any questions on any of the above, or any more pics required please post up. Please note the pic of the engine shows it with the tinwear etc. RESTING ON - it needs fixing on properly!

Please note that the badge on the decklid is lying!!! This isn't an 03 S!