GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 30th 2005, 22:16

radiator handing

I was curious when you guys use a radiator up front in a bug and like Zenjoe scoop air to feed does the handling change at all?

I was just thinking that you really what to to have as little air flow under a bug as possible, for good handling. but with a radiator up front and the nessicity of air wouldn't you be hurting the handling as the air is building under the front of the bug?

is there a way to get rid of the expelled air with out hurting the flow through the radiator? like a shroud behind it to send the air where ever you wanted, or because of the lack of room you'd be force to use a steep backing thus causing too much back pressure?

I guess the frist question should be how fast do you guys feel comfortable driving the bug with the radiator up front, and how different is it compared to before the radiator?

thanks
Old January 31st 2005, 07:15

Hi

I worried about this when I built my previous car, I didnt notice any problems and I saw 200 kph a few times.

You could alway make it vent upwards through the hood like the Lotus Elise.

Steve
Old January 31st 2005, 15:34

yea but I also most think the restriction from the vents forcing the air upwards might cause limited cooling. I could be very wrong as the fans would over come this restriction.

ever think about pulling out the fuel tank? because if you relocated the fuel tank you could use the frame work already there and put the radiator there. Sucking air from the bottom of the car and forcing it up to lotus like vents.

Maybe even using a front air dam with vents that help feed the radiator.

the problem here would be to relocate the fill hole. I beleive summit and jegs carry somthing like this.

what do you think?
rip
Old January 31st 2005, 19:00

I Didn't really notice any handling change. The front end is a little heavier because of the radiator and components, bet since the bug is so light in the front to begin with, it actually balences the car out more.