what should i do?

thanks
Old November 10th 2005, 11:21

What are you running..

Is it brakes or better tire

135, hopefully not on the street. Need more details
Alex
Old November 10th 2005, 14:44

you bet it's on the street. hah i don't know about that fast on the street.

...well then again, if you get cought going 100 the jail tiem would probably be the same as 135 ...then again doing 135 it's harder to get cought

..ok enough ********ting

i'm running a 71 super, i need something that will hold up at 135 mph and be able to stop me fast
Old November 11th 2005, 03:27

Stock early 944 brakes are way more than adequate.

When I had my 84 944, I once jumped on the brakes pretty good while going downhill at an indicated 143mph. It pulled the car down to 70 very fast without any fading.

Since your Super will weigh about 700lbs less than a 944, you gain even more braking leeway.
Old November 11th 2005, 12:56

Lazer..

Think we need more input from you.. as to your plan with the beetle..

Is it drag racing, road courses, back road fun.. to better guage where your going with your 135 mph..

For reference I still haven't hit 135 on the track and that is with a stage 2 scooby.. at watkins glen.. For mid 120's even my stock brakes will work well, as long as they are mated to some good track pads.. and a session doesn't go beyond 25 minutes.

All I am saying, is that its unclear as to your requirements..

Things that are factors here are:
Tire
Brake Calipers
Brake Pads/fluid

I will be running 944 early set up on my 73.. with Hawk HPS for street... I think this will be grippy enough, with some good rubber.. if I go to the track I will upgrade.

135 seems ambitious.. not sure what you are building.. but aerodynamics will be a big, big factor.. not sure if you have considered that. I have a planning number of 120 mph, still ambitious but that will be for the track.. realistic and safe, about 110-115..

Just some FYI.. and curious.. so please don't take any other way..
Alex
Old November 11th 2005, 14:23

well i really don't plan on doing 135 so much but i'd like to be setting my standards pretty high with this car. If I ran 944 brakes then I would run their callipers too, along with master cylinder (i don't know exactly if this works or not but i think i heard it does) I was thinking 944 turbo brakes becasue as i understand (maybe I'm minunderstood) they come drilled stock. I've looked into and considered brake kits like the one's on aircooled.net and Cip1 but I don't think they would suit.

I was looking into these but they're pretty expensive

i have a 1985 944 sitting in my driveway but i don't think the brakes are at my disposal unless i buy new ones for it (i doubt i will be)

so i don't know where to go. it seems like if i cross over it's not going to be bolt on unless i spen an extra 300 dollars which i don't want to do.

I'm looking for reliable solution that's not too pricey
Old November 12th 2005, 03:40

944 packages from Franklin's:
http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/bug-disks.htm
Old November 12th 2005, 11:38

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old November 12th 2005, 11:39

well if it included rears it would be a good price but i don't think it does, it doesn't even say
Old November 13th 2005, 02:16

eh, $1k seems alright. Vdub is going to run 300 for the machined spindles and hardware, not including the calipers. Im sure that Franklins is only selling the fronts in that kit

Last edited by bean_8044; November 13th 2005 at 02:20.
Old November 13th 2005, 10:59

so much to do, so much to buy, so much to make, so little time!

where am i getting the money for all of this?
Old November 13th 2005, 13:20

http://www.rennbay.com/944-big-brake-kit-p-83.html

Saw this.. if you wanted to do something a little different..

A friend of mine races a Tarus SHO to the speeds you mentioned and has had great results.. as well as some of his SHO buddies..

Some like Wilwoods others don't..

I may do this to avoid changing spindles and such down the road...

Just an idea...

Also food for thought.... and I appologies up front for it..but bear with me...

Please give us your requirements.. being an engineer this is the language We speak.. based off that proper recommendations can be made..

Besides speed, how long are you maintaining that speed.. what are the rest of the supporting items on the beetle going to be..

Do you want a custom system for your beetle or off the shelf.. (Kersher or CB)..

Again lot of variables..

I will give you my thoughts per my car.. 73 SB that I plan on Daily driving.. I most likely autocross it, and my do 4 track event a year.. using that as my goal.. I set out to see what some folks were using.. in my case based on others research the 944 Na are more than adequate..
Tires and Pads are another factor that I have put into the equation.. This more than anything has yielded the best results when it comes to 60-0 stops as well as 130 to 60 repeatedly on the track.. These two things are more critical than the brakes your going to use.. IMHO..
Also how much HP are you going to be running to get to that speed.. what tranny and gears.. I would think that for 130+ you would need upwards of 150 and some long gears..

IF I would do it again.. I may go with Kersher.. for my Vert.. lot of unknowns came to play when doing the 944. most of it has been researched and addressed but there is still some mystery how well this combo is going to do on the street, at an auto X and lastly at the Track..

Hope that helps.. Alex
Old November 13th 2005, 19:42

that site helped becasue i'm looking for 944 part makers/ distributors for my 944.

i plan on 250+ HP
"daily driver" not really, i'll have another car too but this will be street legal
something like 6.5-7" tires in the front, i have 10" for the back but they're huge, i'll probably go to 7.5, 8, or 9".

...i doubt i'll hardly ever be going that fast, but i want to but my car to handle that speed without a problem

i'm looking into a 5 speed porsche trans, probably out of a 911 carrera, if it'll fit

when i drive this car it will be for fun or racing, it's being built strictly as a street race car/ autocross type driving

i'm thinking of just replacing my rear trailing arms, hubs, brakes, wheels, yadda yadda with 944 or 944 turbo parts, possibly 911 parts and coil overs

i want something practical and easy, preferrably cheap. i don't need to get a whole new kit thing, if i plan on getting 944 trailing arms i might as well get the rest of it as well. i don't know what i want for front brakes yet though, that's what i'm trying to work out now

i guess if i go with 944 rears i'll go with 944 fronts, i just need to know how/ what to do

thanks for everything
Old November 13th 2005, 20:34

Ah.. the plot thickens.. I have to ponder now..

But the info you provided is great.. as we all learn from each other..specially when someone starts thinking outside the box..

That being said, I recommend the ol' search button.. plenty of threads.. If I have time I will post some links.. The five speed route is one that a many of us are pursuing.. 901 vs 915 (which I have only seen in pictures, so not to familiar) as well as Berg.. EvilOval and myself, as looking at making a nice sized purchase from Bug@5speed.. for doing the conversion.. we both are waiting on a back issue to see the parts on another fellows car.. more to come..

As far as trailing arms.. you can keep your stockers, unless your dead set on alum and wider track..

So sky's the limit..

I will dwell on this and throw something your way..

Do you have a budget your working with?
Alex
Old November 14th 2005, 07:26

the bug@5speed kit
what is that? i know it's something to do with ....i forget

my budget, is pretty low

like maybe i can put out about 500 a month, give or take, and i can't do that every month

right now i'm working on fixing all the rust in my car
UGH, talk about a pain, i'm almost done though

and when i'm done with that (next week)
on to my roll cage

then i work out all the smaller things (dents, filling small holes) and get it somewhat ready to paint

i don't want to paint it yet becasue it has to stay outside while i work on the frame

so once i'm ready to start doing the frame (probably 2 months) that's when i do tranny and brakes and suspension and all that

so i want to get my stuff together now so that when time comes i'm not just trying to save money and not get any work done