GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 12th 2005, 19:48

My DIS install and experiance....

Well, I got it in the mail today from Serrano along with a new 009 distributor.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=133093

First is the install. It was pretty straight foreward. The control module mounts on the stock shroud location for the coil.

The ONLY confusing things were the wiring diagram since I have an electronic choke. It said to hook the ignition wire to the choke. Didn't sound right, "Ignition wire to the choke???" is what we were thinking as reading it... so we just didn't hook up the choke. We got it running, but for some reason it wouldn't idle...so we played with the timing for a little bit. Still wouldn't idle... So we looked at the thing again, thinking we misread it about hooking the ignition wire to the choke....we didn't. So we sat and thought about it, and were trying different ghetto things and hooked the ignition wire to the choke, and the wire from the carb to the spade connector on the DIS module. VIOLA! It fired right up and idled fine. I guess it completes a loop and that's how it runs...

It runs AWESOME. It runs sooooooooo smooth and throttle response is immediate. The car runs amazingly now. We ran it for quite a bit, driving it through the entire powerband in all gears....let it idle for a bit. Shut it off, and VROOOM, it fired right back up. It solved my not starting when hot problem. It also solved another problem.....it RUNS COOLER. Before I couldn't touch the dipstick when the motor was hot. Now the dipstick is as cool as it was when the motor was off.....VERY INTRESTING. I dunno how a motor can run cooler with a hotter spark.....but it works....

None the less, it's the best $300 (overnight shipping AND a 009 distributor) I've ever spent on ANY car I've ever owned.

Not a picture of my engine bay, but that's what it does look like when mounted. This is DEFINITLY a recommended modification for everybody. I'm so glad I didn't get the half *** $35 kit....
Old August 13th 2005, 04:12

Can you explain to me what exactly this is
or where can i find out about it

cheers

Rob
Old August 13th 2005, 07:53

It is an electronic replacement for the old mechanical distributor (the wear constantly from friction and therefore need readjusting regularly). this one never need readjusting and should fire always 100% correct.
Old August 13th 2005, 08:46

Cool
so is it programable?
can you adjust it to retard under boost and such
Old August 13th 2005, 12:00

No.....you can't. But there are ones that you can get.... I got this simply because I'm clueless when it comes to points and whatever. All the cars I had were DIS.

Also, I needed to replace my ignition, I decided I'de give it a shot....it cured all my problems....