GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 12th 2005, 13:19

front beam urethane

Was wondering has anyone replaced the bearings on the front beam. I got the urethane kit, and have been working on the front end. Anyways I heard that you can use a metal dowel and knock from the opposite side the out bearings out. I have a small piece about ¼ inch and it deflects a bit so I’m not getting a good hit.

But I was able to screw up the bearing a bit so I can’t just leave them alone, they need to be replaced. Anyways was wondering if any one has done this and have some tips?

Also should I even try to get the inner bearings out? I must replace the outer ones but due to the hassle I may leave the inner ones alone. Anyone ever replace both?

I’ve talked to john, and I’ll be looking into a slide hammer, though depending on the situation with the inner bearings I may just pick up a thicker piece of dowel.

Thanks
Rip
Old July 12th 2005, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat
Rip,

When I narrow/adjust a beam, I usually throw out the stock needle bearings/micarta bearings. I like the urethane inserts (the long ones for both inners and outers). As a plus they have a built in grease seal. You gotta keep them greased well and you will not have to worry about squeeking. I like the 'empi' ones better than the 'bugpack' The bugpack are too stiff and a b**ch to put in sometimes.

Good luck.
Lanner I got the full sized top one but the bottom beam urethane comes in two pieces, (bug pack). Frankly I'm questioning going though the trouble of replacing the inners.

I may cut the top full sized ones so I just have the outer bearings. But how did you pull yours out?

thanks
Rip

BTW got the email thanks again for the help