GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 23rd 2004, 12:10

56 Karman Ghia- WHAT TO DO!??

My friend's dad owns a few cars i've been wanting for a while that are all varied states of rotting away.
67 beetle
65 beetle
74 super (is now my donor car and being stripped to sell)
66 crew cab taransporter (getting the super's 1600)
56 Karman Ghia
That's right...a 56!! Turns out it is technically his brothers as well as a couple of other cars and he said, "Do what ever you want with them." Well, the ghia is in crap shape, but totally workable...it's not wrecked, but it's got some rust.
I can't afford to restore it, but I can go modern with it.
Should I restore it "GL" or go total "resto" or just sell it and how much should I sell it for?

HELP!!!

G.Sainz "Das Uber Affe"
Old April 23rd 2004, 14:33

A few years ago, I really, really wanted either a Karmann Ghia convertible to be lowered or a Thing to be lifted. My other future daily driver was going to be one of a longer list that was even more diverse. I went back and forth on whether to get a KG or a 181.

My intent was to do the first/best example of either I could find. Lo and behold, I ended up getting a final year Cabrio to satisfy my drop-top cravings. I have been GL-focused ever since the combination of then and first hearing about GL to satisfy my air-cooled cravings.

I'm afraid my myopia disqualifies me from giving direct advice of any value. However, I will dispense some legal advice -- and I won't even charge $300/hr.

Get permission to "do whatever you want with them" from your friend's father's brother -- and in writing. Better still, make an offer to buy it.

Legal issues are never fun -- especially when manuvering through friends and family. But legal issues are better and more easily handled up front than after the fact. Judges have little time for I thought this and You said that.

That'll be $60 for the twelve minutes of typing and advice. Oh, wait a minute. I said I wouldn't charge you ... in writing.
Old April 23rd 2004, 21:43

Talking Not worried about the legalities.

Well, the brother is a lawyer. My friend is footing the bill and as for me...I get paid for the work I do and a percentage of any sales no matter who takes who to court (which won't happen). Just wanted to know if it is worth the time restoring or selling. My main interest id the dual cab and I may just get the a car in exchange for working on that. I've already been fortunate enough to get a lot of great parts for my car super cheap. My friend doesn't know much about VW's in general, but I'm not ripping him off.
He was just nice enough to sell (and even GIVE me) some parts. I offered to restore the other two cars (the transporter and the ghia) mainly because it just sickens me to dee them rot away. I'm just looking for the best way for my friend to his money's worth from them for investing in the restoration.

Thanks for the legal advice. I beleive here in Texas posassion is 3/4 of the law. MOOOOWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
jst kidding...or....am...I?
MOOOOWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

peace out yo!
G.
MOOOOWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Last edited by Uber Affe; April 23rd 2004 at 21:44. Reason: spellink