GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 9th 2005, 20:49

DIS ignition systems....anybody?

I was thinking of buying this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=133093

I have a stock dizzy, but was gonna buy a 009 just so I can get that.

Anybody have any input to this kit? It comes with 60K volt coil pack, pointless ignition, wries, etc...why not? it replaces everything...

What are it's advantages to just going "half-***" and getting the $35 2-wire pointless kit?
Old August 10th 2005, 19:08

That system is really only semi-DIS. It replaces the HT distribution with a 'wasted spark' and uses semiconductor switching. The whole advance curve is shifted by turning the distributor body,just like before.

Sadly it relys on the dancing advance, that can be seen with the strobe is inherent to a 009. It would fit your stock Bosch distributor pn ending 205 too, and the engine would probably appreciate the vacuum advance. This system will not make a bad dizzy, or a good but unoptimzed dizzy, any better.

60,000 volts is sufficient to produce a spark that rarely needs to be more than 125mj (0.03calories) of spark energy, to get ignition in nearly any petrol engine.

Save another ~$100 more + a $50 laptop and go 8by8 table programmable. If you're up for Megasquirt temorarily taking over your life. Ford's EDIS by Motorcraft is superb. With MS it's superb on any engine

BUT, for $185=~£100 that's a good bargain for a popular product I've no personal experience with. I'm even tempted

Matt
Old August 10th 2005, 20:08

I know it's only semi-DIS...but it's supposedly a great system...but I haven't heard any opinions from people who run them on daily drivers...only weekend warriors and bahas.....hardly worth noting for long term daily use...

There were people saying they've sold them and ran them on every car, but um...they gave no opinions on anything, just stating that they used it....