GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 28th 2005, 04:09

And you thought "Big Reds" were big

Hey just letting you in on the first pics of my project. I had to mount these as soon as I got them. This is a huge step for my bug.

I can't really put this into perspective on how huge these things are and i know every one is differant but humor me. Hold up you right arm horizontally with your hand in a fist, look at your knuckles then your elbow... and that's how big the caliper is. Really. I have to use 18's to clear em'.

These are off the front of a 2005 Porsche Cayenne turbo. The setup on that suv are the 6 pots up front with a 14" rotor, and 4 pots out back with a 12.5" rotor, and all reviews say that they are to say the least, "grabby". I'm going a little over kill and doing the 6 pots front and rear (who needs an e-brake? :haveadrin ). Engineers at Porsche explained that the mono-block style brakes are designed to stop the 6500 pound suv from 165 mph, yep 165, with out a hint of fade. And also stop a 7800 pound trailered load (with out helper brakes) from 90 mph without a problem. I think these won't have any troubles stopping my 1800 pound beetle .

All i can say is lanner is the man. He let me know whats going on every step of the way. The craftsmanship is second to none. The machined billet aluminum hubs that he made are incredible. Its a shame I have to hide it behind the rotor. Contact him now and maybe you'll be the first to put 8 pot's on a beetle (brembo makes em'). Put some brakes made by lanner to match the power of your T4, you won't regret it (944 sliders to Cayenne 6 pots, they all make a huge differance in performance and lanner does them the best). Vdubcustoms.com or 905.302.3087 Call him, he's the nicest guy to work with.

These are going to be complimenting the front and the rear of my std. 74' Type 1.

The plans for the car are;

550 hp.

6 speed G-50.

1.0 lateral g in handleing (GT2,Enzo,CGT...the elite).

Run a mid 10 second quarter mile.

160 mph and be at least some-what stable.

You get the idea.

I don't know how to post the pictures on the thread but here are the attachments.

Thanks for looking,
Russ

Any comments/advise without killing my hopes of 160 mph, is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0180 (Medium).jpg (63.9 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0182 (Medium).jpg (68.3 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0185 (Medium).jpg (61.5 KB, 294 views)

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old August 28th 2005, 04:17

By the way the "182" picture... I'm really lame. I didn't even look at which pictures I was posting on the "world wide web", but apparently its a public place, and there i am posing for a picture in my garage at 2 am having my girlfriend take a picture. At least it gives you a perspective on how big the brakes are .

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old August 28th 2005, 07:02

sweet is the word that comes to mind
Old August 28th 2005, 09:50

Overkill is what comes up in my mind.

You have to use some good reduction-stuff otherwise you're not bracking but gliding al the way.
Old August 28th 2005, 11:46

Be careful when approaching intersections and riding when the road is even REMOTELY wet. That kinda braking, without the weight on the rubber for friction will cause a lock-up. I don't care how wide your contact patch is, it will skid. Dry or not.

I was actually one of the people considering 8 pots, but I remembered my CRX with Integra Big Brake kit days in the rain at at intersection with hard braking (residues that drop from the car at stoplights=unfriendly braking surface, which is why when you ride a motorcycle, you're told to ride on the sides of the lanes). My car was too light for the 12inch rotors), and weighed ALOT MORE than my beetle. In the dry they were fantastic, and even then would lock up. And weren't even Porsche Brembo's....

I would be EXTREMELY careful...people underestimate how dangerous brakes too big can be as well...it's the reason I chose 944Turbo brakes...big enough to where I could have better stopping power than all 4 drums and having only front brakes hooked up, but nothing too outrageous for a daily driver. And with the fat contact path of 8.5 fronts and 10 rears, I think I maximized my stopping/friction coefficient. That, and I'm not a fan of stickers on my calipers, lol.

That insane...super props to you for doing that, but just be careful when driving it....
Old August 28th 2005, 13:16

You've definately pegged the WOW meter for looks, I'm afraid you might be saying, wow, this sucks to drive. They weigh a lot more than needed, so your sprung weight is way up, and they are soooooo much more than is needed to stop a light car that I don't know if they will even warm up! If your doing it for looks, you're on the right path and they look AWESOME! But if you are doing it to drive, I think you might be on the wrong path.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old November 11th 2005, 20:28

lame ?

dude, with brakes like that, you're allowed to be !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
By the way the "182" picture... I'm really lame. I didn't even look at which pictures I was posting on the "world wide web", but apparently its a public place, and there i am posing for a picture in my garage at 2 am having my girlfriend take a picture. At least it gives you a perspective on how big the brakes are .