GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 28th 2005, 21:00

I have no clue.....

Things I know:
I know this car is a 71 super Beetle
I want to replace the bumpers and head light benzel.
I know I want a roof rack.
I even know the wheels I want to put on this car.
I want something simple that I can install myself......
I will get these 17's to fit on the drum set up without changing to rotors. ( I hope )
I want to lower this car without going broke.
I want to be able to lower the car and raise it whenever I need to.
My front struts have the three bolt set up.
JCW.com seems to be the site of choise for me

Things I don't know:
How do I lower this car at all four corners?
Who has the cheapest good set up for what I want?
Will I have camber problems like the hondas? Opppssss.....
I will not pay $1000 for a set of coilovers for this car.
Whats up with this adjustable narrow control arm or something like that?
Will I need this to not have rubbing on my tires? ^above
Where are the sites that will supply everything i need all at once?
Why can't I one stop shop for all of this stuff?

Yeah, I'm a rooky!! If you guys don't understand any of this ask the questions and I will help to the best of my abilities. I was upset when I was writing this.....

From this video I felt like I was there with them.

Last edited by hey its antman; January 28th 2005 at 21:06.
Old January 29th 2005, 15:03

ok, where to start on this one.

first, you can't always have your cake and eat it to. if you want to adjust height at the drop of a hat, it will cost you. coilovers are the best way to allow that functionality on the super. with a standard you could go adjustable beam.

rear height is easy. just adjust your spring plates on the torsion bars to the height you want. do some searches. plenty of info on how to accomplish that.

front on a super. there are many custom options. none will be one stop or easy. if you want bolt on, Topline Maxx Struts are the best way to go. gives you room for bigger rubber too.

rims in 4x130 are not overly common. they are out there, but few and far between. i would suggest going with 2.0 liter Fuchs if you want to stay with that bolt pattern. it won't get you to 17's, but they look great and are affordable...and bolt on.

and JCW sux. you get what you pay for. and their stuff doesn't cost much. hit the links section on the main page or the links page on volksport.net for a ton of sites with good products.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 29th 2005, 16:58

thanks Zen

If I go with the "Topline Maxx Struts". Would I have to get all four corners? I want to have a company like CP1 to make me a set of drums in 4 x 100 lug pattern. That will cost me around $300 for all four....

You right about having my cake and eating it too. Give me some other ideas as to front struts and lowering it up front without going $400 plus? think cheap but decent!

I pick JCW because I just want the small stuff. Headlight benzels and brows, cal bumps w/ lights, and rear bump, and seat covers, door cards. They aren't good for that?

Fuchs please, I'm having a tuff time with my 914 wheels now. They dolt right up but the rub the front struts a little. I refuse to buy spacers for this car but, I might head off to the shop after this for just that!! mo money, mo money!!!

What will I need to make this work? I just want the fenders to match up nicely with the tires with no rubbing in turns.
205 45 17 tires
17 x 7 or 17x 7.5 inch rims w/ 40 et - 45et
redrilled drums all they way around
You fill in the rest!! ( strut wise and other stuff that i will need )

Thanks again, I know alot of folks won't respond because I don't have the post history but, get over it!!! Turn the computer off if you aren't going to say anything and go to :yawn: ......
Old January 29th 2005, 20:29
Administrator

The Super (1302 1303) stock strut springs are too large in dia. to let you put wide rubber up front. You can get adjust-s-struts and a tapered sport spring from TopLine or others that will give you more room but the MaxxStruts will give the most room of all your bolt on options. After you have the struts you select installed then you will have to measure and see what wheel/tire combo you can fit under your fenders. Be sure to measure both sides as these old VW's are sometimes a little different from side to side. A MaxxStrut at its highest setting is a 2 - 2.5 inch drop in front. I can't speak for the Adjust-a-Strut as I have not owned any. John at TopLine is very helpfull.
As for the rear of a Super, it is the same as a Standard. No struts in the rear. It is a torsion bar set-up with shocks. You can get a (slightly) adjustable spring plate for the rear and some (slightly) adjustable coil overs for the rear and get some adjustment from that, otherwize you need to re-index the splines one the torsion bars to rais or lower the car.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 30th 2005, 07:22

Germanlook=$$$, your willing to spend 300 big ones on custom drilled drums, but not 400 on the struts to make the 17's work on your car . Figure out what kind of 17's you want, maybe the Porsche stuff will work for you. The single pot 944 brake pieces aren't a lot and if you get the 2 bolt struts instead of three it will nearly be bolt-on. Just do a lil searching on ebay and wreckers. I don't know what your mech skill level is, but GL is advanced stuff.
Rear can be lowered for free with some patients and proper research. The biggest piece of advice is to do lots of research and figure out what you want to make of your super. There is a ton of other options out there then just the cheap CIP1 or jcw.com crap to mount on your vee dub.

Good luck
Old February 3rd 2005, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Ninja
Germanlook=$$$, your willing to spend 300 big ones on custom drilled drums, but not 400 on the struts to make the 17's work on your car . Figure out what kind of 17's you want, maybe the Porsche stuff will work for you. The single pot 944 brake pieces aren't a lot and if you get the 2 bolt struts instead of three it will nearly be bolt-on.
Yeah, I know what I said!!! I don't want any porsche wheels because its already been done. I want something in chrome if i can help it. Everyone keeps saying two bolt struts. My car have three and I will be sticking to that. I'm seeing me have to use spacers at some point. I gave you guys the specs of the wheels 40et - 45 et 17 x 7 w/205-45-17 tires. Sorry to sound like a U know what but, I'm feeling like I'm repeating my self over and over again. Maybe Ishould just have it painted first and worry about the other stuff later. Anyone running "Wire wheels"?? I'm going for the Maxx struts set up and 4 drilled drums. The wheels will be easy to get. Just don't say porsche wheels. i have a set from the 914 already and I don't want to buy spacers to make them fit the front but, I might have to bite the bullet on that one. Sorry for the long post. I reseaching right here....