GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 14th 2003, 17:45

Front end woes.

While we are discussing varius details on the front end, I am having some trouble getting the right adjustment on my 73 SB.

It is lovered 55 mm in the front & 22 mm. in the rear. I machined my 23 mm Kerscher sway bar so that I got the right caster (2,9 Degree.) I have 6 X 16 fuchs ET 36 w. 5 mm spacer, 205/50X16 Dunlop Sp 9000.
When the suspension sits where it "likes" to be, I have -2 camber. So in order to compensate for that, I adjusted the toe 2 degr. out.
Then the car is terrible at normal speeds, but resonnably steady at 100 mph.
When I squeeze the camper in about to where it should be, (I can only get about +0,5 degree) and adjust the toe to be straight or 0,5 degree toe in, it is somewhat better at normal speeds, but far from perfect. High speed is also reasonable. It seems to be more stedy at 75 mph. than 50 mph. It has a nasty tendency to follow bumps or truck tracks.

I have tried about a dozen different settings, and even changed my tyres. ( Going from V pattern to a type with V in the midlle but with a real shoulder. That actuallky helped some)

The next thing I have been thinking about to try is to raise the inner mount for the trailer arm by 1 inch, to get more possitive angle on that again.
I have also been thinking of trying a stronger steering dampener.

Any other ideas ? And what else could I be overlooking ?