GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 11th 2006, 17:07

Be easy on the NEWBIE please

First I guess I should say I am new to this site and to VW BUGS. I am a import enthusiast but saw this as a new way to go. Especially after throwing in the AUDI motor almost like putting a rocket in a beer can thing is fun to drive. Still needs paint but working on it.

I have a 1973 Superbeetle (I live in Germany with the U.S. Military) with a Audi 1.6 Motor and lowered in the front with lowering springs (totally custom wood interior), racing seats, and custom stereo system.

Now to the very stupid question. I have read read read read and read some more about this whole wheel thing. Considering I am a huge import guy the thought of throwing on some of my many import wheels just intrigued me. Here in Germany nobody can put these on their cars due to the very intensive inspections they do on the cars. So me being an American I don't have this problem and can put whatever I want on the car. I have ordered the pre-drilled 4x100 drums and rotors. After reading all this info my very DUMB question is can I go 16x7 or 17x7 without changing out my fenders or my lowering springs. I find that everybody asks this question after they tell you they have these expensive front struts. I am half japanese and get all my import parts from family very cheap but I can't get these parts for teh VW cheap. So I trying to find out what is safe without having to buy all new parts. Thanks for any help and please don't be to hard on me because I have been through 18 pages of forums reading. Thanks
Old January 11th 2006, 18:57

Always nice to have someone doing something a little crazy with their bug! I don't have the answers for you on the wheel question. Do a search for porsche wheels, this question has been asked a lot for them. Once you figure out what offset works for the Porsche stuff on your vehicle, just make sure you get that offset for your 4X100 stuff. And yes, you can run 17's.

Jason

Oh, we always want pics too! Let see that motor setup, especially cooling.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old January 12th 2006, 02:20

pics

Well I am not sure the car is pic worthy yet. The motor is a 90hp Audi 80 motor with a front mount radiator and electric fans. as soon as it is looking a little better (right now it is totally red primer) I will get pics up. Being here in Germany where they salt the roads the poor thing had a huge bondo section that I didn't find until I put a jack under the car. The car will run 100mph though down the autobahn. My girlfriend was driving it through the hills here following me in my 240sx and doing quite well.

As for the 17 I just need to make sure they will sit up under the car without rubbing issues. I unfortunately decided to do this after the front of the car was dropped with regular lowering springs. Since I am also new to the bug scene information was found out about the 4x100 conversion later in the project. However it is actually nice to work on a car where so many possibilities exist. Now if I can get some Lambo doors for my bug like I have on my Nissan thanks
Old January 12th 2006, 04:22

I'm using a 17x7.5 with a +42 offset and a 16x7 with a +40 offset, both rims are for front wheel drive cars like most imports, and my suspension is a custom made stock S.B. strut with a Honda civic rear springs just use the base plate of the civic rear springs weld it to the stock strut of the S.B., using stock disc brakes with a 1 inch adaptor that has a 4x114.3 studs at front, same as the rear its all stock with a 1 inch adaptor too.

My ride, 1302-S with stock fenders all around.

16x7 Enkei

17x7.5 Rota

hope it helps.
Old January 12th 2006, 04:36

Using 17x7 wheels without changing the fenders certainly is possible. The difficulty is not knowing the width of your springs in your current set-up. TopLine and Kerscher make struts which will allow these wheels given the proper offset. TopLine also makes something called Sports+ springs which are tapered in the middle but are not going to be as robust in wheel/tire combos it will allow but more robust than a stock springs in a lowering situation.

It will take planning and you may have to priortize what you want to get the end result you desire. I would go to TopLine and read what they have to say about how they fitted their wheels on their car using their products. From there, you can measure the springs you have and see what you are mathematically able to do.

Then you can see what wheel width/height/offset combos are at your disposal. If it all works, you're good to go. If a wheel you want isn't physically possible, you can look into spacers as a solution if the rub is coming from inside the wheel. If a spacer alleviates the inside rub but causes fender rubbing, you may have to rethink your Lambo doors and get narrower springs and/or struts.

(BTW, all cars are picture worthy )
Old January 13th 2006, 15:10

Thanks for the help

I guess I have a lot more reading to do. I was hoping that somebody would maybe already know a set of rims that they have put on their car without the expensive shock setup. I wish I could put my 1800 dollar set of Cuscos that are on my Nissan on my bug. Again thanks for the help it is at least good to know that I don't have to change my fenders. However another question comes to mind, I own a professional fender flaring tool. Would this tool help at all? It might at least give me a little bit more room under the fender.

As for pictures I am not a professional by any means and with three project cars money is very scarce. This being said my bug is no where near the quality of Bug that some of you own. You guys especially the one on this thread is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I either had the money or the skills to make my bug look like yours.

It isn't what you buy it is what you build (quote on the back of all my cars)
Old January 13th 2006, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragenasian
I guess I have a lot more reading to do.
No such thing as too much reading.

Quote:
I was hoping that somebody would maybe already know a set of rims that they have put on their car without the expensive shock setup.
My set-up is 16x6½-inch BBS rims with a 42mm offset. I believe I could have used TopLine's Sports+ springs with stock shocks if I remember one of my conversations with Jon at TopLine correctly. I decided to go with their MaXX struts over the less expensive Sports+ springs and the more expensive Kerscher struts.

The Sports+ springs are not that expensive and I have heard good reviews (not surprising to me given I have a lot of TopLine parts I am quite satisfied with).

Quote:
I wish I could put my 1800 dollar set of Cuscos that are on my Nissan on my bug.
If that is your intention when you mentioned the 4x100 bolt pattern in the first place, one of your variables became a constant. Now you need to find out the wheel's dimensions and offset. From there you can more easily find out if it is feasible and if that answer is yes, what would be necessary.

My investigation was on these lines because I was fairly locked in on the wheels I wanted.

Quote:
I own a professional fender flaring tool. Would this tool help at all? It might at least give me a little bit more room under the fender.
Oh my goodness, yes!

Quote:
As for pictures I am not a professional by any means and with three project cars money is very scarce. This being said my bug is no where near the quality of Bug that some of you own. You guys especially the one on this thread is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I either had the money or the skills to make my bug look like yours.
Don't be silly. I joined this forum a year and a half before I even bought my car. My car is only half-way through the major phases. With few exceptions, everyone's "finished" cars aren't finished and will probably never be finished because of a constant state of tweaking they're in. And with few exceptions, everyone's near-finished cars were in some previous state at one time during their ownership -- and everyone's cars were stock at some previous point.

Quote:
It isn't what you buy it is what you build (quote on the back of all my cars)
See that, you have that over me. Although I helped here and there with my car, I am the resident Dr. Technoklutz. I have to pay people to do most things because I have neither the experience or a garage.

It seems to me you're plotting the correct path and as long as you stay the course, you will come for air one day and remember where you once were as your car gets closer to that mythical state of completion.
Old January 13th 2006, 22:27

if 16s will fit, 17s will fit as well..just use a lower profile tire..

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 14th 2006, 15:45

Thank OASIS

Thanks for the kind words OASIS. As soon as it warms up (currently here in Germany it is below freezing) I will take some pics of the 1.6 AUDI motor, and the rest of the stuff I have done. I am still working on the Wood interior that I am cutting. I can at least do this in my garage without moving any of the other four cars out of the way, and I don't have to freeze my balls off outside. If anybody is interested when the new tires and rims get mounted I have a very very odd spare tire that I myself have never seen in my life. It is mounted on a 4x130 rim but looks like a big round piece of rubber just sitting on a rim, but it is a legal spare. It doesn't require any air either and it is very small and fits in the front even with the custom radiator (which sits at an angle so we wouldn't use up to much of the front space). Again once it gets warmer (next week supposedly) I will do as OASIS says and take some pics. As you are correct in everybody has a car that started stock, but some people can afford to at least start out looking decent. This has been a year project already and hopefully paint or no paint the car will once again see the street. Thank everybody when I finally find out what weels work I will post more info that maybe somebody later on down the road (like me) can use. I will get the measuring tape out and let you all know, pics will come soon).
Old January 15th 2006, 02:20

You're welcome. vujade made an important addendum. I focused heavily on width and offset, and neglected the diameter (non)issue. Also, keep us entertained and informed on the wood interior. Sounds interesting.
Old January 17th 2006, 16:16

for oasis

Hey Oasis,

Send me an email to imported1@t-online.de and I will send you some pics to see what your thoughts are. I have found a set of rims to that are 16x6.5 which would give me an extra half an inch so we will see. I am going to probably order them anyways as they will also fit my other car so either way I have a new set of rims for either car!!
Old January 18th 2006, 08:54

done done done (I needed at least ten characters to post )