GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 24th 2006, 21:26

R & P Steering

Hello everyone- I am under the understanding that to put r&p in a 1303(74) that you need a steering out of a very late bug or a VW Passant or Audi 80
Is that correct? if so I was looking in the local bone yard today and saw a Audi Fox unit that looks like the Passant- does anyone know if they are the same? If someone has a picture of the Bug VW unit I would love to see a couple of views if possible
anyone who has any knowledge for a newbie like me and would share some wisdom with me, I would be greatfull
thanks for all the time everybody gives
Nohair
Old January 26th 2006, 11:58

Steering rack

I was going to convert mt early 03S to steering rack but I sold it and bought a late model instead that has a steering rack.
If you want to convert i presume the late model would be easier to convert but there is still a lot of fabrication to do by changing and its really a custom job i wouldnt see many garages takin it on. you need the whole assembly for the late 03; Sttering rack, tie rods, stub axles if yours is 3 bolt etc. There is the arguement that its not much different driving an 03 with a box and an 03 with a rack.
I would definitely go for the rack model after having both but as i did I'd go out and buy a rack model again.
there are a couple of post already on the forum just use the search and you'll get some pics. if you want i can take some of mine as i took the spare wheel tray out for the rad you get a better view of the framehead.
cheers

Cormac
Old January 29th 2006, 19:16

Steering r & p

Hey guys,

I have a 73 super and was curious when they started installing r&p. I was also curious if anyone has ever mounted those rack and pinion units made for rails and buggies on a streeted standard Beetle.
Old January 30th 2006, 00:36

I was steered away from the buggy/sand rail r&p because I was told they weren't sturdy enough for street applications. There are race applications with a "quick steer" available that can be adapted. I tossed my info out when I decided my '71 wasn't going to go such a process, and figured if I own a '75 some day, I will do a more confined search then.
Old January 30th 2006, 05:31

R&P

IT WAS IN 75 ANYWAY FOR DEFINITE.
i'll check my chassis number and see i think it starts 135
Old January 30th 2006, 11:18

Yes, R&P was in for '75 already. I only meant I would only consider a racing rack for me for a car already equipped with a rack. I personally ruled out a conversion to a rack for my '71 so I no longer retained the info to help Nohair with his '74 which also would need to be converted.

One reason I ruled it out was because of the expense of the conversion and the expense of the racing rack. To me (and it is my opinion only), I didn't want to just convert to a '75-'79 r&p because it actually has a worse turning radius than the pre-'75 steering box models. Plus, the steering box in mine is in quite good shape.

I do like r&p steering, so I don't want to offer that misgiving. Some day I would like to own a '75 as a platform.

I really wish I could remember the sources, though. I just collected so much stuff over the years, I had to do a purge. Sorry.
Old January 30th 2006, 13:02

R&P

Hello- I am still trying to find out if the "Fox" rack is the same as the VW units- I know on my 74' that I have some unused bolt(threaded) holes where the rack should bolt in- I just wanted to know if the units were interchangeabel from model to model
I am going to the "WORK" of the change because I have a rust free and very good chassis and already have the 944 brake change installed, so while I have the body off and am doing the changes I know this has to be the best time to do the rack change!!- anyone who has any experience that would like to share would be appreaciated
thanks to everyone
nohair
Old February 12th 2006, 15:35

Help?

I am still trying to find out if the "Fox" steering unit is the same as the VW/Audi and would fit the SB(74') that I have - please if anyone knows I think it would help in the supply of R&P parts that would be available to the people that want to change over
thanks for all the time and knowledge that everyone gives
Nohair
Old February 14th 2006, 15:22

R & P Steering

If it is a R&P like this one in the pict. it will no fit a SB, it has to be a R&P from a early Audi80/passat and you have modify it to fit.
look in this tread It's a standard 1303 75' rack with good pict.
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...highlight=rack
here is all that you need no more or less on german ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Kaefer-1303-Cabri...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16_1.jpg (21.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by hammerbus; February 15th 2006 at 16:12.