GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 11th 2006, 16:11

Type 3 Porsche Wheel/Suspension Help

Hello all,
I have been lurking on the forums for awhile now...really haven't had a question I couldn't find an answer to until now...I have a '70 square with a swing axle setup (I don't know how that happened, the chassis seems original to me). At any rate, I have been fortunate enough to come across a set of Porsche Turbo Twist 2 wheels. The fronts are 18" x 8" with a 50et. The rears are 18" x 11" with a 45et. I know that I'm going to have to convert from swing to IRS and probably narrowed IRS at that. I need some insight into what I should do first to make the rears fit. I've done searches but couldn't find the exact answer as it relates to type 3's. Thanks
Jaymonz
Old April 11th 2006, 22:05

jaymonz, you will have your work cut out for you on stuffing 18x11s under a typeIII no matter what offset you have! It's not impossible, but not easy either. Two ways come to mind. One; keep the swing axle and narrow the torsion housing, and axles and tubes. Plus, relocate upper shock mounts and mini tub it. RLR(Ron Lumus) racing has shorter torsion bars and axles, or three or four link coil-over set-ups for drag racing, and can help with some ideas on this set-up. Two; custom trailing arms for IRS set-up, relocate upper shock mounts, mini tub, and use coil-overs and uni-ball plates(inplace of spring plates) or shorter torsion bars like swing set-up. Plus shorter IRS axles. These are just some of the parts needed for this of course. As there are little things that will come up through out such a task of course.

This info should help for a general idea of what you can do, but is not the only way, and there is alot more behind these two set-ups. I'm by no means a chassis engineer, but i have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express . It will be very cool when complete for sure . Hope this helps out.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old April 12th 2006, 11:42

Thanks for the info...I was trying to wrap my head around this undertaking. I know that it would be easier to probably fit four fronts, but the idea of putting those massive rears on seems like the right thing to do! I went to the the RLR site and found the suspension area. wrenchnride247, thanks again. I'll definitely keep you all updated.