GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 14th 2003, 15:24

I think that I get it. Better tires, a sway bar in the back to start with and some stiffer shocks and struts. I think my Mcphersons are still very stiff though. Then a sway bar up front if the rear tries to pass the front. Right? Mike
Old February 14th 2003, 15:39

rear swaybar / front swaybar

I beleive most people will tell you that when you put a rear swaybar on, you should simultaneously put the larger bar on the front.

Aircooled.net sells the 7/8 " for the front and offers three options for the rear - Sway-a-way, 24 mm, and 27 mm. the first is non-adjustable, and the last two are adjustable -larger = stiffer.

There are other sources, but my main point is that by adding a rear, you really need to upgrade the front at the same time.

HTH,

Punch

71 Super!
Old February 14th 2003, 15:41

Alright, with those swaybars what size should I start with? Small and work my way up, or just go big to start with? Mike
Old February 14th 2003, 19:21

I'll second Punchbug's advice on adding a front regardless. I'd put the common 7/8" on the front and start with the common non-adjustable 3/4" (approx 19mm.) in the rear. You can get these pretty much from any supplier. Again.... Don't forget the normal wear parts also. These will greatly effect the way your car reacts. Good Luck!!

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old February 15th 2003, 18:19
RLW6000

I have a 71 SB and I had a shimmie problem with mine. When I first got the car, it had old 5 spoke craigers with adapters on it and it shook a lot. I then put some stock wheels and worn out very old (sat on flats for 7 years) 165 sr 15's on it. The shake wasnt quite as bad, but still there. Now I have a good set of 185 65 15's on it and I have almost no shimmie what so ever. At certain speeds, I get a slight vibration and I think I can fix that with taking the wheels off and turning them 180 degrees and putting them back on. If it was me, I would check all the components in the front end and then replace my tires or at least get them ballanced and go from there. The shorter, wider tires helped my cornering ability a lot. Someday, I will upgrade my wheels, struts and numerous other things. Just my thoughts, good luck with it. Randy