GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 21st 2008, 23:04

mid-engine wisdom request

I'm looking for some thoughts and recommendations on how to set-up the '65 Ghia pan (swing axle) to run coil overs or something more handling and performance oriented. We'll be running a 3.0L Subi mid-ships into a 914 trans. We considered 914 trailing arms but are looking for a setup to give us a little straighter up and down articulation by having another anchoring point or pivot point vs. 1 with the 914 set-up. A tube cradle for mounting the motor and trans. will be fabricated and grafted to the pan... from there we're still working with ideas we have and open to other's experience and help. My fabricator/builder is thinking that an M series BMW may have components with geometry that may be workable. Haven't come home with BMW parts yet so I'm hoping to hear back from the bleachers. Thanks in advance. This will be quite an amazing little car when complete. Quite a few doubters but no lack of enthusiasm for a successful build.
Old September 22nd 2008, 08:14

Sounds awesome, I can not share input on BMW as I have had little experience in viewing their suspension components, bit I am wanting to build something similar in the future. However I would like to stick with the Subaru transmission. From what I came up with the easiest start would be to build a tube chassis and build a roll cage to brace it, or buy a full cage completed. http://ronlummusracing.com/Race_store.htm Here is where I want to buy a full cage from. However to get it shipped to Ohio prebuilt is like $3500. I was thinking about buying a knowcked down kit but and having that be my first welding project, where the welding with be done by a professional, and I will learn along the way. Besides my brother is an excellent welder/ fabricator. I am just worried about getting everything perfect. Anyhow good luck and if I get to check out a Bmw today I will provide usable information.
Old September 22nd 2008, 20:31

I have an E36 and an E46 M3, and an E90 335i so I can give you a reference if you need one.

Comments:

-You'll have to have custom axles built to use the 914 tranny with the M3 hubs. $$$$$

-The big problem you're going to run into is that the KG body is relatively narrow. I don't think you'll be able to get anywhere near the amount of room you'll need to fit an M3 suspension under a stock ghia body. If you widen ghia bodies they tend to look very odd IMHO.

-Might I suggest using off-road VW hubs and then fabbing up a double wishbone rear suspension? I don't know what the width of a 914 vs a KG is, but you might even be able to use semi-stock axles, or have custom VW axles made which would probably be much better cost wise. A rear suspension is much less tricky to design then a front suspension, I'm sure you could actually find many off the shelf parts to fab it up. Look at Lotus Super 7 plans, and I'd also look at Mazda Miata rear suspension, may be the width you need?

Here's something heading the direction I think you might want to pursue:

Dobergoose

my $0.02.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; September 22nd 2008 at 20:33.
Old September 22nd 2008, 20:38
Superman

There are lots of mid-engine buggy designs, most are low cost and will save you a lot of fab time. I'd find a buggy with the same wheel base as the Ghia and "adapt" the body to the chassis. The mounting points of the suspension, engine, and transmission will all be there for you already.