GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old March 16th 2004, 10:32

Question How to? Autometer fuel level gauge

Im in the process of purchasing an assortment of Autometer gauges for my GL. I have come to a road block. I want to purchase one of the Autometer Ultra-lite 2 5/8" electric gauges. The correct gauge to select is based on what amount of ohms your stock fuel level sender registers from empty to full. I have no idea?

http://hp.autometer.com/products/ult...ic_gauges.html
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!
Old March 16th 2004, 22:30

The simplest way to find out, I would say is to get a multi-meter and measure the resistance of the original sender unit. This is really easy to do. First if you dont have a multi meter you can buy one at an electronics store (they are really cheap), second what you have to do is empty your fuel tank, and with the tank on the vehicle and all the wires connected turn on the ignition switch to on. Your normal fuel meter should indicate an empty tank, then simply connect the multi meter's wires to the two coming from the stock sender unit.note the reading of the multi meter.Next step is to do the same with the tank filled up. I want to go autometer as well and I think that's the only way to find out which is the one that matches, since their applications are mostly for american vehicles.
PS: Don't forget to set the multi meter to resistance in DC (Directional Current) mode

Chris
beetle 1303

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old March 17th 2004, 10:55

Question How to? Autometer fuel level gauge

Thanks for your input. I was trying to avoid that process. Hoping atleast one person out there has already done this. I have seen lots of pics with dash boards with autometer gauges. I guess I'll head to Radio Shack.
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!
Old March 17th 2004, 17:47

Give the guys at E-gauges a call.They set me up with VDO fuel .I think the sender is the same as Ford.I got good info on Type2 Technical Resource Library.