GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old August 29th 2010, 14:32

Ventilated front discs

Hi,

Does there exist a ventilated disc for stock beetle calipers? I came across something on the net a while ago, but can`t find it again.

Could be that they were cross-drilled, and this was advertised as ventilated though, as the disc must be very thin with proper centre ventilation.

Also: what is the thickness of the Kerscher discs? The Talbot calipers I have can be used with somewhat thicker discs, like the type3, but perhaps also the Kerscher would fit.

regards
Old August 29th 2010, 16:11

csp has vented front kits hears a link

http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop...=0&sort=0&all=
Old September 2nd 2010, 09:42

To fit ventilated discs(rotors) the caliper halfs need to be spaced apart to cater for the increased disc width. The CSP kit gives new calipers to over come this problem. If you are thinking of the CSP kit then its a little step to a full Porsche conversion.

Clive
Old September 2nd 2010, 13:04

I`m wondering if the Talbots would fit the Kerscher disc. Probaly not, but woudl be nice to verify it.

My current setup is Talbot front calipers, cross driller discs, type3 rears with 19,05 pumps
Old September 3rd 2010, 05:28

The Talbot Horizon calipers were for solid not vented discs. it would be easy to check. Press the pistons back into the caliper body and see how much space you have between the opposing pistons, subtract the thickness of the pads + 0.03" clearance and vthat will give you the thickness of the disc. Then you will have to get all the specs of the CSP disc to see whether you will have to adjust the mounting position of the caliper.
Its all a lot of work and a bit hit and miss for no great benefit over what you have at the moment.

Clive
Old September 3rd 2010, 07:58

Hi

I tried to chase down some Talbot callipers a few years ago but had no luck.

You could always fit a spacer inside the calliper where it splits to make it fit a thicker rotor. I've been told Porsche did this on some of their callipers.

Steve
Old September 3rd 2010, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I tried to chase down some Talbot callipers a few years ago but had no luck.

You could always fit a spacer inside the calliper where it splits to make it fit a thicker rotor. I've been told Porsche did this on some of their callipers.

Steve
Its a standard conversion to vented discs (I did this with the Range Rover Classic I have). Its simple engineering but only for those with the appropriate kit. The spacer has to be the correct thickness and parallel faced. There will be O ring seals between the sections and the recesses will have to be correctly sized to get the correct pinch on the seal especially as you could have up to 2000psi in the circuit! Most of the original seals between the halfs are square sided that are not readily available so normal round section seals are used. There is no gasket between all the sections as this would upset the rigidity of the unit.

I wasn't sure if the Talbot calipers were in two halfs or whether they were a single forging that would preclude a spacer.

If you are going down the route of a spacer then the mounting position of the caliper will still have to be checked and it would be a great opportunity to get some stainless steel pistons made for long term durability.

Clive
Old September 3rd 2010, 20:44

Hi

Some photos of the Talbot callipers. The spacers are not something you would do half-heartedly, you would proper skills or use somebody who does.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Talbot.jpg (77.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Talbot.1.jpg (77.3 KB, 26 views)
Old September 4th 2010, 04:41

This is a spacer kit that I found a while ago, for a triumph iirc but it shows what you need. In the end I went for the CSP kit.

Old September 6th 2010, 05:41

Its all a bit of hard work making spacers up and then getting all that to work with ventilated discs that probably weren't intended for the application. You would only go with the spacers if the change to ventilated discs was easy as in the early/late conversion on the Range Rover Classic. If you wanted to go with vented discs I would think that it would be just as easy and cheap to select a vented disc caliper from the vast range now available that could have some corrolation with the disc selection.
Without pouring through the massive collection of discs the second option would be to machine some bells and then add competition discs and calipers such as AP, Willwood, Brembo whatever.. The wallet needs to be a little fatter but the whole reason behind the competition brake scenario was to be able to customise the brakes relatively easily.