GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old October 25th 2005, 07:48

Germanlook Split?

Are there any g-look splits in this world?

Or are all split-windows rusto, resto, original or cal looks?
Old October 25th 2005, 08:49

Alex built one and then sold it to one of the GL.com members a few
years ago....

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old October 25th 2005, 09:17

There are a number of ovals in our gallery. I remember at least one in Keith Seume's book on VW customs (the name escapes me).

I did a search in our gallery for splits -- not an easy task as there is no actual search or sorting engine. I found three. All seem to be works in progress.

Page 24 has one by Split50. Page 27 has one by MdR. Page 28 has one by Alex.

The reason I think you don't see many splits that are German Look is because German Look is a recent development as compared to the other styles of restoration and customization.

Getting a split as a platform for anything is going to cost a significant amount. Converting a car to a German Looker is going to tax the enthusiast's disposable income as well. Combining the two would be quite imposing.

I would guess the amount of splits converted to Resto-Cal or Cal Look in the last five or ten years is probably lower than one might think. It would seem to me the majority of these in existence had their roots in the conversion process prior to that.

There is also the factor that splits don't lend themselves for the GL treatment as easily as the Super Beetle (the 1302 and 1303). In fact, splits may be the most challenging air-cooled of all.

If a customizer were given a split for free in any given condition today, it would be easier and less expensive to convert it to Resto-Cal or Cal Look or just restore it to original showroom condition than to convert it to German Look of similar stature.

Clearly, any split that reaches fruition as a German Looker would get a near-unanamous :bowdown: from those of us who would appreciate such an endeavor and accomplishment. The average air-cooled enthusiast may not be so enthusiastic. The German Look is losing some of its red-headed step-child status within the community but there would be plenty of howling in the so-called purist's corner over "bastardizing" a split.

That means a customizer not only has to have deep pockets, that customizer has to be a genuine GL enthusiast to begin with. They are not going to get the same universal wow-factor some customizers crave.

The German Look is about performance but let's face it -- most of us crave or at least enjoy the pat on the back for a job well done. Purists and Straight-liners are going to be reluctant to offer that pat. And if it comes, it may be the reverse side of that hand they're offering.
Old October 25th 2005, 12:58

Oasis is right, splits are hard to find and expensive when you do. I have a friend that has two splits, two zwitters, and three ovals. ('47, '51, '52, '53, '55, '56, and a '57) I would like to build a GermanLook Split myself. I would just love to see the look on the purist faces when I come pulling in to a show.

That said, I believe it's easier to make a cal-look or resto-custom with a spit, because sometimes it's hard to find good original parts, unless you pay an arm and a leg.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old October 25th 2005, 14:56

luckily I´m able to roll a split-window in my garage at saturday this week!

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever do g-look split. Many g-look ovals I´ve seen....so why not split!

I have some wild plans in my mind about for example suspension, but we will see that what I´m really going to do with it. I´m afraid I´ll paint it matt, which isn´t very german look, but I´ll concentrate more into mechanical than making perfect paint-job, at least for now that´s my plan to make it handle so good as I´m able to make it.

What I´m planning would be that over 50-years old car would go and handle so that I could take it to circuit and have fun!
Old October 26th 2005, 01:50

I'm the "guy" that bought Alex's '52 Split.

Here's my story:

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...3753#post43753
Old October 26th 2005, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi_nylund
I just wanted to know if anyone has ever [done a] g-look split. Many g-look ovals I´ve seen....so why not split! ... What I´m planning would be that over 50-years old car would go and handle so that I could take it to circuit and have fun!
Why not a split indeed. :agree: But you must keep us posted on progress along the way.
Old October 26th 2005, 07:52

if you do a split, make sure its one that is not in original shape to begin
with. Find one more suited for customization.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old October 26th 2005, 09:42

Ofcourse I´ll let you know what I´m doing in my garage, dont´worry that.

-> vujade: yes, mainly that is the reason why I want to have this specific car because it needs some body metal to be changed before I´m satisfied with it and it leaves me free hands to do my modifications without destroying 101% perfect split-project for original 100-points restauration. If you understand what I meen? Though I´m not going to customize the body what you can see from outside in any way, but inside it´s different story.
Old November 4th 2005, 04:22

You know what'd piss off a purist more than Hoodrides Patina Machina would be a GL'd Heb, or a Heb slammed to the ground.....

Yeah, who wants to build a GL Heb.....