GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 8th 2005, 16:19

The only thing that separates the VW from any car in the world is the aircooled engine.. Removing the aircooled engine creates a car that may as well be a Ford Pinto or Chevy Chevette- Both were economy cars of the same era!

BTW- To dispel a myth:
The TIV engine is NOT 4 times more expensive than a TI of equal displacement. when you compare apples to apples it will take the same amount of money to create a TI even close to the strength of a TIV in durability respects.

When one decides to drive their car instead of working on it- they graduate to the TIV.
Old November 9th 2005, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Type IV
The only thing that separates the VW from any car in the world is the aircooled engine.. Removing the aircooled engine creates a car that may as well be a Ford Pinto or Chevy Chevette- Both were economy cars of the same era!

BTW- To dispel a myth:
The TIV engine is NOT 4 times more expensive than a TI of equal displacement. when you compare apples to apples it will take the same amount of money to create a TI even close to the strength of a TIV in durability respects.

When one decides to drive their car instead of working on it- they graduate to the TIV.
Yeah, I kind of agree... totally
Tho I also understand the reasons people do the suby conversion for, so if its not totally financial you base your decision on, its all about your personal experience you (want to) get from driving your car...

Good luck,
Walter
Old November 9th 2005, 17:17

agreed. i am all for the suby and other mods. i made a decision with my car that it was going to be about the spirit of the aircooleds though and stuck with getting as much out of aircooled and N/A as i could. i can get a turbo anywhere.

that said, a suby is going in my vanagon/transporter one day. it already has water.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old November 10th 2005, 14:58

why work with a powerplant when you have to make so many sacrifices.
The whole thing: Cheap, reliable, fast, pick 2 thing is pretty accurate.
I thought it was BS, i wanted all 3!!!!!!
Im all for aircooled motors, I love the simplicity, but its pretty apparant that hipo vw motors are reaching their limits when they are built, where as a new watercooled motor can make really good power reliably STOCK and then be upgraded. Why limit yourself?? If it was a new aircooled motor it would be even better, but they dont make them anymore. Its just modern technology. Honda motors make 100hp/liter stock in economy cars! It would cost a crap load to make a vw motor do that, would it be as bulletproof as a stock motor? hell no.
I mean, one of the main reasons the type 4 motor is appealing is because it was bigger stock, and because it made more power stock. Same thing applies. If vw still made flat 4s, lets call it a "type 6" im sure a ton of people would have them in their cars. A motor swap is a motor swap

-Ryan
Old November 10th 2005, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73notch
Why limit yourself??
Why take the easy way out?

I can also not paint and not restore my car and call it a RAT-look (no pun intended). I would belong to an exclusive weird looking bunch and wouldn't have to do anything !

Like I said, nobody said that your choise is not sensible: Au contraire: It is! but some 'experience' their car in a different way. I can't describe it any other way...
Its a personal thing. I do not need to convince you and I guess you do need to justify your choise to go suby with me/us

I still like your car and conversion VERY much, so don't be mistaken by the above!

Best regards,
Walter
Old November 11th 2005, 04:05

oh, i totally understand wally i wub aircooled motors. And i know exactly where you are coming from from the nostalgia thing, A hipo vw motor just......looks hella awesome, sounds hella awesome, dosnt need water, and makes WAY more power than its supposed to! haha.

Quote:
my statement above was in response to the relation of a pinto to a vw with a motor swap.... im not seeing any similarities at all.

And theres way more to a vw that separates it from any car in the world than just its engine. What about its simple, lightweight yet very developed chassis? Real independent suspension? What about the rear engined platform? Isnt that what "german look" is all about?

i Do agree with you jake that the whole engine buildup of a type 4 and a type 1 actually will end up costing similar prices.

-Ryan
Old November 12th 2005, 01:47

That's exactly what I was going for, but didn't get it to roll off my tongue like you did.

The TIV motor is appealing because it makes more power stock, like stated. It is simplicity, but there's always that cliche statement you hear about the ACVWs like "AVCW and reliability are two things you don't hear in the same sentance.." or something along those lines.

Pointed out, Honda makes over 100HP per liter in STOCK form, with a redline on average around/over 7K rpm. Ricers beat on those motors for 200K miles, abuse them by not changing oil regularly and just contant crap. Yet, it still is considered more reliable than any ACVW motor and will last longer, hipo or not....

Not baggin on our motors, but if you can swap out to a platform that's STOCK and produces reliable performance with a plethora of aftermarket and possibilities.....why limit yourself?

That said, given the opportunity, if I had $6K in front of me to spend on a motor, 9/10 chance I would get a TIV or T1 motor...but not use all of it and get a beater HB Civic...
Old November 14th 2005, 11:59

I drove my 3 Liter 13,200 miles in less than 6 months-

Not one carb synch

Not one oil change

Not one valve adjustment
25 MPG, head temps of 275 oil tremps of 215- 235 HP @ 5,500 RPM/ 237 TQ @ 3,500 RPM

Its my job to abuse and neglect and tahts what I did. The engine is coming apart this week for inspection after I blew the tranny apart a couple weeks ago.

Reliability is the reason why I gave up on the TI and went TIV years ago....