GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

View Poll Results: Next step:
Keep going down the crooked road? 15 71.43%
Cut and Paste Boxster? 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 14th 2010, 21:22

I Walk The Line...

OK, so those of you that know me know I'm a bit of a nut and my boundry is not defined by aircooled. I've spent years and countless $ on my project thus far, and while I've thoroughly enjoyed the journey, my subjective goal has moved over the years. Currently I'm seriously considering ending my progress on my current suspension/driveline setup and doing this:

Bugster

I might go almost identical, or use the Boxster body as a jig and build a tube chassis that all the Boxster stuff could bolt on to.

The Boxster has widely been considered one of the best handling cars available, and having been exposed to cars like the M cars I've owned I don't think I'll be able to get to the handling point I want with the energy I have available. Granted it will be a big effort to do the conversion, but with a very known end.

What are you guys thoughts on this? Keep going or cut my losses/gains and start fresh?

Thanks for listening, it's a weird spot to be in.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 14th 2010, 21:25

Volkdent

Why not go Boxster chassis and 1303 body

Best of both worlds

I think they did it in onenof the uk vw mags

Was blown away with the idea

Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old December 14th 2010, 21:29

I love the early body and really hate the idea of cutting up another body, I'd just keep cutting on what I have now. In fact I'd even consider going to a '57 for the look I really want. Maybe create a bolted together seam so another body could be grafted to the Boxster chassis if something happened or I want a real show car.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 14th 2010, 22:40
Administrator

Jason,

Are you set on the beetle body ? Have you considered a tube frame chassis based set up ? I'm sort of in the same position, as the components that make up my beetle are worth more than the car they are bolted to. My car is not a daily driver, so I'm currently looking at a Porsche 356 coupe tube chassis, mid engined with a-arm front / rear suspension. My 2.4 T4 with 915 gearbox and wheels / brakes would swap over.

Not a beetle anymore, but still unique.

Something else to think about.

Sandeep
Old December 15th 2010, 10:01

sometimes, it's all about the road, not the final destination. So you will have to decide which gives you more pleasure and if you can handle a few more years of not driving your bug at all.
As a project, the bugster is truly amazing and I'd start doing one if I had the money/time/necesary space. It will keep you going for a few years and give you lots and lots of satisfation. That's why I vote for the cut and paste!
Old December 15th 2010, 15:03

Surely you have just about finished your car now! Put in a bit more time and finish it off then build another 'bugster' otherwise you will be throwing a LOT of $$ down the drain...
Old December 15th 2010, 17:10

There seems to be a movement of this type on "conversion", new chassis car with old body car. Although I prefer the optimization of the old chassis(perform at it best) if you want it go for it!
Old December 15th 2010, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Jason,

Are you set on the beetle body ? Have you considered a tube frame chassis based set up ? I'm sort of in the same position, as the components that make up my beetle are worth more than the car they are bolted to. My car is not a daily driver, so I'm currently looking at a Porsche 356 coupe tube chassis, mid engined with a-arm front / rear suspension. My 2.4 T4 with 915 gearbox and wheels / brakes would swap over.

Not a beetle anymore, but still unique.

Something else to think about.

Sandeep
I'm definately stuck on a bug, it's the ultimate sleeper IMO, plus I'm a fat boy, I won't fit in a 356! I like the headroom the bug provides. I've thought about the 356 or Speedster before though, I like the idea, but the body is very restrictive +/or odd if you flare for big tires.

I've always believed factory is best, if you can use what is already made you are way ahead for cost and maybe reliability.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 15th 2010, 18:23

I'd rather have a beetle with excellent handling which you can keep improving then a boxster with a beetle body which can't be improved.

Further more, I'd rather have a convertible boxster then a boxster with a beetle body.

Assuming you would use a accident damaged boxster, I would fix the boxster.
Old December 15th 2010, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
Surely you have just about finished your car now! Put in a bit more time and finish it off then build another 'bugster' otherwise you will be throwing a LOT of $$ down the drain...
What is finished?

I have to add a front sway bar, redo a new roll cage, repaint a fresh paint job, have to completely redu the rear suspension then add a roll bar, replace the current transmission and hubs and engine/tranny mounting system, then finish the interior, then add heat/air, sound system....

I will still have plenty to do on a boxster conversion, but with guaranteed results in the performance/handling catagory is the argument I keep on having with myself...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 15th 2010, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrelt View Post
I'd rather have a beetle with excellent handling which you can keep improving then a boxster with a beetle body which can't be improved.

Further more, I'd rather have a convertible boxster then a boxster with a beetle body.

Assuming you would use a accident damaged boxster, I would fix the boxster.
But then I'd have a Boxster, not a bug that handles extraordinarily well! I'm not even a big fan of Boxsters, I wouldn't buy one to have one, maybe a Cayman, but I do like the chassis a lot, primarily the real mid-engine layout.

jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 16th 2010, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
What is finished?

I have to add a front sway bar, redo a new roll cage, repaint a fresh paint job, have to completely redu the rear suspension then add a roll bar, replace the current transmission and hubs and engine/tranny mounting system, then finish the interior, then add heat/air, sound system....

I will still have plenty to do on a boxster conversion, but with guaranteed results in the performance/handling catagory is the argument I keep on having with myself...

Jason
Jason, you ought to finish it off. Whilst I agree that the journey can be as entertaining as the destination you will be wandering around and never getting anywhere if the scenery always looks better elsewhere than where you originally decided to go. Use your desire and ambition for the boxster as the driving force to complete your original project. When finished you will know what you are ultimately capable of and that should add confidence for the boxster build. You never know, your thinking time spent from now with the current project may lead you to a different desire that may not be boxster?

Clive
Old December 16th 2010, 10:04

To me the bottom line is:
IF you are not set on the beetle shape, buy a cayman.

I went through the same dilema years ago and I bought a 911 thinking that I was not set on the ghia body style, I was wrong.
So I sold the 911 and I'm back to my old turbo ghia tricks (the ghia is faster anyways)
Old December 16th 2010, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
...I don't think I'll be able to get to the handling point I want with the energy I have available. .
^^ this is a little troublesome... as I regard your skills and motivation amongst the best.
Hmmm...

Oh, btw, I think by asking the question you have already answered it and just seek confirmation
Go for it!
Old December 17th 2010, 06:41

Hmmmmm. Although the Bugster Project is fantastic and is possibly the type of car you desire,I honestly do not believe that it will outperform your current project.Power to weight ratio is better now than what it would be on a Boxster platform and the build itself will take a lot of money and work.I think if you were to complete your current project and add some more punch to the Toyota motor there won´t be a boxster around that will be able touch you.Me personally, I am more impressed with what you are doing than with the bugster from Austria.A bug/boxster project has been done already - yours is unique.