GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 13th 2004, 15:54

Question Newbie to Aircooled, Looking for suspension info Handling!

I'm new here, I'm looking to get a 1972 VW Superbeetle. I currently have a 1991 Jetta GLi VR6 that I am parting out with full Shine setup.

My question is:

What suspension options are there for the SB? Everyone I talked to said that Topline was prety much the best. But I called Shine racing (I consider them to be the best watercooled suspension for handling) And they said they were junk. And didn't have any real good reffences for aircooled.

Two things they tought me though.. Lowering a macpherson strut suspesnion (control arms arn't parallel) is bad, and poly bushings restrict movement and should really should just upgrade to a bearing kit or leave new stock.

Who makes the best suspension parts for the SBs? I'm looking for great street performace/weekend warrior that I woudn't have to toss much money at to make my detacaded race car. What springrates are good? (IE in my car I've got 300lb fronts and 200lb rears on bilsteins) I havn't made my tire choice yet, the SB I'm looking at has 3 inch wider fenders front and back and I need to figure out how wide of a tire I can put on the front an back, and what the size difference would be.

Any words of wizdom?
Old June 14th 2004, 03:09

In another forum. I was reccomended to find and talk to a guy named Erik Roberts? Anyone know him? What he runs?
Old June 14th 2004, 15:12

I really can't help you with the SB front end questions since I'm building up a standard beetle for racing. Although I can suggest the late 944 aluminum trailing arms for pushing out the rear track. I have 18" X 10" et 65 wheels with no spacers on my chassis with plenty of clearance between the rim and the chassis. Someone else can help you out with the front end questions. Try using the search function also, Your questions might already have been answered.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old June 14th 2004, 15:19

I've prety much been though the whole thread to 2002, I didn't find anythig too clear. Springrates don't seem to really be discust. Just lowering springs (or what I think would lower..Eibach springs, or Jamex..)
Old June 14th 2004, 15:20

Thank you for the help on the rear, I'm curious as well how much lighter the alumnum control arms are? Any benift there in unsprung weight?
Old June 14th 2004, 15:21

Also is the rear susp, Semi-Trailing Arm or is it "regular" trailing arm (are the arms at and angle in preportion to the car, or straight?)
Old June 14th 2004, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticle31
Also is the rear susp, Semi-Trailing Arm or is it "regular" trailing arm (are the arms at and angle in preportion to the car, or straight?)

They are semi-trailing arms just like your VW ones. The arms themselves are lighter than the steel VW ones but once you add the rotor, caliper and e-brake hadrware they are 5lbs heavier per side (48lbs per side) than VW ones. Not bad though for the extra width and 11" rotors.
Old June 14th 2004, 17:54

not bad at all.

I'm still looking for springrate, strut info. even coilovers? The SB I'm looking at getting has 3" wider fenders front and back. I'm wondering where the point if dimishing returns are with wide tires on these. And what kind of suspension I'd need to adiquately keep a 265 (those are on the back.. that will change. I only want one or 2 sizes biger in the front) on the gound!
Old June 14th 2004, 19:15
Administrator

A Kerscher front strut is more than likely what you are after. They use an adjustable front spring(Eibach). Other than that a Topline MaxxStrut is the other choice. If you want to talk springrate call John at topline. To spite what you may have heard, he know a 1302-1303 very well and can give you the Low-down on them.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 15th 2004, 03:34

Go to http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/, and read the forum archives. That should yeald many answers to your questions.
Old June 15th 2004, 19:33

Theres some good stuff there. What do guys here have to say about springrates? Where can I find rear springs (or whatever those are called) for the car? 120lb - 150lb fronts?

Where is the point of dimishing returns in regards to tire size for these cars? (I'm looking to fill up the massive 3 in wider fenders)
Old June 15th 2004, 20:22
Administrator

There is a tech article on the main page (germanlook.com) called The Perfect Suspension. You will find lots of info on different torsion bars, sway bars, etc.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 15th 2004, 20:35

You can use the 944 rear torsion bars for some added stiffness in the rear suspension. They are cheaper than aftermarket VW ones. The VW comes with 22mm bars and the 944s bars run from 23mm to 29mm in diameter depending on model.
Old June 15th 2004, 21:48

That article is about regular beetles though?

I'm curious, how does a torsion bar rear end work? There is a coil spring there right?
Old June 15th 2004, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticle31
That article is about regular beetles though?

I'm curious, how does a torsion bar rear end work? There is a coil spring there right?
nope. there is a spring plate attached to the trailing arm. the inside of the spring plate tub (which slides into the torsion tube) is splined and the torsion bar is inserted into the spring plate on one side, rides through the torsion tube and slides into a splined section of the torsion tube on the inboard side. how's that for a run on sentence? the torsion bar then twists between the splined sides to provide the needed tension to push the susension down. the downward travel is limited by a stop for the spring plate on the lower edge of the shock tower. hopefully that made sense.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design