GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 14th 2002, 15:07

conversion help?

Other than needing a 12 volt tranny and a type Iv motor is there anything else needed to do the conversion? Do you need extra engine mounts or braces, to support the wieght/torque of the engine? Are there anymore little things that will help?

I hope to run a stock 2.0l engine in my '63 bug for a time. I do not want to do a pan swap for a IRS tranny, or do the conversion thing for the IRS tranny yet, $$$, so I'll probably keep the swing axle. Deal is I hope to get a tranny by KCR soon. One, to do the 12 volt conversion, second because of the added engine power. Can any one see a problem with this? Figure this is me, I got a stock '63 bug, still 6 volt, and I want to do a type IV conversion. So I find a stock 2.0 liter engine, get the needed tins. Do I need much other than a 12 volt tranny to be done with it?

Of course I'll still want to continue to fix it up, kafer cup, may be a IRS, and or even hot rod the engine; but all of this in the future. Could I get by with a swing axle and a stock type IV, with out doing serious damage to the pan, wishbones, tranny mounts? I drive a little agressive, no long burnouts but chirping to tires are not out of the question. What else do I need to do?

Thanks
Rip
Old December 14th 2002, 22:29

You can't just slap a type 4 on a type 1 trans and not have problems. There are a couple of things you will need to do and keep in mind, I am using a Porsche trans so I don't remember all the tricks to put a type 4 on to a swing axle. I can think of flywheel, pilot shaft bearing, clutch/throwout bearing to start with. Most type 4 installations use a rear engine brace/traction bar. I'm sure someone that has the Joe Cali book can get on and fill you in on the specifics. I sold my copy so I can't look it up.
ken
Old December 14th 2002, 22:36

did the book help? Should I concider getting it? Cause I notice a lot of stuff on line about the conversion so is ti neccessisery to have? Does it cover thing like additional engine mounts?