GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 5th 2007, 03:03

Yes, turbo is nice and reliable if using little boost. But it is expensive. You can check out cbperformance hideaway turbo. I really see no point in getting 88mm pistons if you cant get 90.5 for the exact same price of both pistons and case machining, and probably save on the heads since you can get an "off the shelf" hi-po head. Another thing, is that i don't like a turbo kit with carbs, since you'll never get the optimum performance unless you heavily mod them, and still they can't compare with a nice EFI. But that's just me bitching, carbs and turbo do work, just not as good as EFI and turbo

Oh and if you got irs, dont get a camber compensator, get a rear swaybar
Transmission: Planning Stage
Suspension: Front: 3/4 swaybar w/UrethaneBushings, Dropped Spindles. Rear:CB Camber Compensator. Lowered 2 splines
Brakes: Front Brakes: 280mm solid rotors, two pot calipers. Rear: 280mm solid rotors, 1 pot calipers w/ebrake
Old February 5th 2007, 20:48

Yeah I was planning on getting front and rear swaybars to improve handling to help my 15x4.5's with 195/60's
Im liking the idea of a 1.8T for my bug, 88mmx74mm, I was told it would be and awesome combo along with a set of 90.5mm bore CB 044 round port heads,a cam, 1.25:1 rockers and a optional cam gear.Id want to use a stock flywheel and need a stage 1 clutch I assume.With a stock tranny I wonder how it would be, I just want it quick off the line and be reliable for 100k, i dont care bout the top end though.
Old February 9th 2007, 11:18

Evilangel since your doing your motor sooner than i am, i was talking to a guy that builds vw motor.
just bore your case out to whatever size your wanting, an buy the pistons forged, then buy the turbokit from aj at lowbugget and get your stock heads opened up or buy heads from cb performance.you'll have a motor that makes power w/o going over 6000rpms and still be reliable then as time goes on, change out the rockers to increase the stock cams lift or other cam.Stock cranks are forged by the way, unless you want to get one counterweighted.
I might do my motor this way when the time comes.
Old February 9th 2007, 11:24

Seem interesting. I like the idea of a turbo, however it might take a lot of space in the engine bay, and this might be a problen since i want to add A/C.
Heat here is very extreme
Suspension: Front: 3/4 swaybar w/UrethaneBushings, Dropped Spindles. Rear:CB Camber Compensator. Lowered 2 splines
Brakes: Front Brakes: 280mm solid rotors, two pot calipers. Rear: 280mm solid rotors, 1 pot calipers w/ebrake
Old February 9th 2007, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAngel View Post
Seem interesting. I like the idea of a turbo, however it might take a lot of space in the engine bay, and this might be a problen since i want to add A/C.
Heat here is very extreme
i think his kit, theres and option that he can make it where you can have a/c.
Old February 9th 2007, 11:34

In that case I will consider it... having a 1.8T like you say sounds cool
Edit: Ive checked prices, and I think that the 2007 seup s cheaper. At least I think I'll begin with it, and i will consider turbo in the future.... 2.0T

Last edited by EvilAngel; February 9th 2007 at 11:38.
Old February 10th 2007, 03:46

Veedub, about water, if u don't run airfilters u will ^%**££ ur engine soon cos of dust particles being sucked in and making indentations to the valve seats and piston rings, as well as scorching? the cylinder walls.

Rain in particular will not get in that easily if ur on the road.
I did this for a while, and I used to cover the carbs every time i parked, and washed the car...

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old February 10th 2007, 10:26

My motor has and airfilter..what are you talking about, you kind of lost me..
Old February 10th 2007, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
Thanks chris, ....And about the dizzy Im going to get the Pertronics Ignitor II non vac, its a dizzy, and coil, and wires.And for carbs I was thinking 40IDF's but not with velocity stacks, I'd think it would be easy to suck in water that way.
anyway i was browsing the thread, and thought u meant that with the stalks water can find an easier route into the carbs and eventually the engine... ( assummed no air filters are used) then i said that i have run my beetle without air filters for a while (few days until i recieved my airfilters) and ive been extra super careful about water and driving conditions (dust, moist etc) cas particles small enough can find their way into the engine and be the cause of unneccessay faults and overhauls....

it could just be silly me, tired, with a bit more alcohol in my system etc....

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old February 12th 2007, 21:09

Quote:
In that case I will consider it... having a 1.8T like you say sounds cool
Edit: Ive checked prices, and I think that the 2007 seup s cheaper. At least I think I'll begin with it, and i will consider turbo in the future.... 2.0T
Or you can order a turbokit from Mat Davis http://www.mattdavisracing.com/store.htm
He told me if you run 94x69 (1915cc) then do a little headwork, mild cam, you can have about 300hp..Im guessing you could use CB Performances heads..but I donno if his kits can be run with and a/c, you can ask him.
Old February 12th 2007, 21:21

Thanks for the tip. I will consider that
Old February 12th 2007, 21:34

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I will consider that
But I dont know if a 300hp 1915Turbo would be reliable for a daily driver, but I can imagin thats not at low boost.
But it would be cool to raise the wheels up off the ground in front of some guy in a civic
Old February 12th 2007, 21:38

even with half of that you can say the civics goodbye. I too have my doubts about reliability, but hey, im happy with 180 hp
Old February 12th 2007, 21:51

Quote:
even with half of that you can say the civics goodbye. I too have my doubts about reliability, but hey, im happy with 180 hp
id be happy with 180hp too. Aircooled.net says a bug with 180hp is as fast as a Vette..if thats really true thatys pretty cool. Just the Vettes top end would be really REALLY scary in a bug
Old February 12th 2007, 23:58

Yeah, I agree. Anyway, truth is my budget is not for reliable 180hp, at least not at this point. Guess i'll have to stay on the 130 - 140, which is as fast as a 'stang according to AC.net, and that's an improvement from stock!!