GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 16th 2006, 11:23

Can i get some help?

Hey i've learned a lot while reading this forum. So first of all i want to thank you all.

And finally after reading for a few weeks i decided to post, and ask a few questions, hope you will help me.

I own a 1973 1303LS with a stock 1600cc on it.Now i want to get more power from my engine, after seein' your rides!!!

I've seen that a 40mm dual carb. kit can be installed on a stock 1600cc. But when i looked at California Import Parts i saw that there is something like dual port and single port engines and i don't know what that mean

I also wonder how much this upgrade will effect my engine? If i'm right i will have to change my distributor with a Bosch 009 or something like that to install this carb. kit,am i?

Maybe you can give me different ideas too, but i don't think changing my 1600cc block, I want a mild - street engine not a too powerful thing.

Thanx!!
TheExploited
Old January 16th 2006, 13:11

I'm not the engine guru on here but I'll throw a couple things out there...
Single port vs. dual port,
where the intake mates to the head will either have one opening or it will have two openings. Older cars had single newer cars had dual.
Dual carbs will help performance but should be used with other stuff to really make any difference, better exhaust, hotter ignition, larger camshaft. There is also a little more tuning and maintainance with dual carbs, keeping them in sync all the time.
A 009 is not a distributor for everyday driving, more of a drag race dist. You would get a lot better drivability out of an SVDA vacuum dist.
Hope this helps.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 17th 2006, 04:14

thanks for the advice. I have got a lot to learn it seems

and sorry for my lack of knowledge but i have another questions

what is the difference between my stock dist. and SVDA vacuum dist.? and i also read that (don't remember where maybe www.cal-look.com) bigger camshafts need different crankcshafts i mean my stock crank is 69mm as i know but i don't know how to choose the right crank for a performance cam also there is rockers, as you can see i really have much to learn

Bora
Old January 17th 2006, 12:19

We are here to try and help each other. I only know a little more than you and you will catch up fast!
You may already have the SVDA, your car may have come with it or something just like it. The first thing the big engine guys do is change to the 009. It is great for MAX power but is not the best for driving around.
Your stock crank should be fine unless you already plan to make your engine bigger, larger cylinders (jugs) and a larger crank (stroker). You would not want a cam so big that it had problems with other parts, you would want a slightly larger than stock cam for a little more power but still reliable.
The stock rockers could be used on a mild cam. If you decided later that the cam is not enough, different rockers could be used to make it "seem" like you had a bigger cam.
If you have not visited yet, there is a website here that has a "newbie" area. It is where I started to learn what little I know now.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 17th 2006, 20:33

Camshafts are chosen more for RPM range (powerband) the engine will run in, and the cylinder heads used, plus induction, than the stroke of the crankshaft. Easy bolt on stuff for stock engine would be 1.4 rockers, check valve springs before doing this part though, dual kadrons, good header 1 3/8 size tubes. Of course, before doing anything make sure you have a good stock engine to start with, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken soup" as the saying goes. Hope this helps some.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG

Last edited by wrenchnride247; January 17th 2006 at 20:34. Reason: oops!
Old January 18th 2006, 09:36

ehehe i liked the quote. yes i think i have a good stock engine and i've ordered a brand new header, it should arrive nowadays. so i'll began devoloping my engine soon

whatever thank you so much. and jeff also thanks for the newbie site it helps me much.