GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 29th 2009, 17:07

adapting/machining drum to 5x100 brakes and wheels

Im gathering information about adapting VW GOLF brakes .
there are probebly two options :
The first is to machine a new hub that its outside should fit the Golf brake rotor and the inside should be machined to the beetle spindle in the front or stubs in the rear , the hub is going to be studded to a 5x100pcd brakes or what ever rotor dimantions you are planing on using.

the second option is to machine a regular beetle drum to the Golf rotor inside diamantion then stud it in the 5X100 pcd.

the advantge of the first option would be that you can ditermine the offset of your wheel by the way you machine your own hub too your wheel to fit under your fender.
and you can detrmine the matirial to make it, probebly some sort of aluminum ,so you get less mass redusing bearing friction.
its disadvantge would be its cost and the fact that you need to plan the hub from scratch.

the advantge of the second option is probebly that i would cost less and take less time to make.

for both options you would need to make brackets out of scratch.

I have two things I havent figured out ,the pcd on beetle drum is 4x130 the golf is 5x100 , where is the best point to drill the drum in order not to get a too weak of a hub ,and not to get the circular mass disturbed.

I know the best solution would be to get blank drums but im tring to keep low costs because im from Israel and you can only get here new drums on stock 4X130 so ordering from CIP and such would not be cost affective.

ok thats it im sorry for the long post , If any one have some information to add I would really apriciate it!
THANKS

p.s
im posting on thesamba.com forums also