GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 7th 2003, 08:37

Talking Finally finished my own rear disc coversion !

Porsche brakes are nice but a bit OTT for most applications. Also I challenged myself to see if I could pull of this conversion myself ! And to produce it cheaper

Car:- 1973 Type 3 Fastback

Rear brake parts used:-

Type 3 Hubs (used)
Merc rear discs (used)
Mk4 Golf GTI Calipers (alloy ones) with pads and flexi pipes (brand new - bow available in plenty used).
Mk2 Golf flexi to rigid brake line brackets
Mk2 Golf GTI hand brake cables
Type 3 hand brake cables
Custom made caliper brackets

1. Type 3 hubs dia. turned down to fit into merc disc, redrilled and fitted with wheel studs to suit (i'm running 5x112mm PCD merc fitment wheels)

2. Custom brakets made to fit in place of existing rear backplate (i.e. between irs arm and bearing cover)

3. caliper fitted to bracket with Golf caliper carrier and bolts.

4. Mk2 Golf flexi to rigid brake line brackets sourced to secure pipes on top of irs arm.

5. Hybrid hand brake cable formed from shorted MK2 GTI outers and type 3 inners (drum end cut off and new nipple crimped on)

RESULT ?

After being a bit sceptical about the whole project (as in 'why did i ever start it' scenario ! ) It's turned out real good. All parts are good and servicable and should perform as OE. No road test has been done (parts have just been assembled)

The handbrake cable could do with being 1" longer as overall length was reduced because of cuttting off the type 3 end - may have new cables made up otherwise (as i found a local cable place that'll do anything ! BRILLIANT !!! )

I will post plenty of pics soon, I'll be dismantling the setup (only done one side for now!) to fully weld brackets.

Any questions/comments are welcome

Cheers,

Angelo