GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old June 22nd 2005, 16:41
Administrator

Here's my datalog from last night ... overall, I'm very happy with the results and I think this is the end of testing for me. Next step is to get out to a Driver's Ed but that will not be until September.

Now to finish collecting the parts for my Turbo project

Sandeep
Old June 22nd 2005, 18:33

I have considered making a small plenum and using perforated metal plates for the same purpose on each side of a cali setup.

This reduces the velocity, increases the turbulence, forces more air to the heads, and makes the pressure more uniform. (all very good things)

(Think "cool tins" on TOP of the jugs, with lotsa holes)

Cali setup has pretty good side to side, but on each side one jug runs hotter ~30-40 F, Probably the same across the head. (using IR setup)

Last edited by piledriver; June 22nd 2005 at 18:34. Reason: typo
Old June 23rd 2005, 20:19

Any chance we can get some pictures of the third deflector that you added to the 911 divertor? I am running the same set-up.

-Britain

www.britainsmith.com
Old June 23rd 2005, 21:53
Administrator

I'll post some pics on the weekend of the setup ... pretty simple and nothing fancy about it.

Sandeep
Old June 24th 2005, 00:44

Cool, thanks.

-Britain

www.britainsmith.com
Old June 24th 2005, 14:32

911 shroud

Sandeep you can't end the project now i think that 911 shroud will perform as well as the DTM shroud.
Old June 26th 2005, 00:31

That's right Sanddeep you cannot end now. You have done a wonderfull job and I am sure we are all excited about the finished product. :agree: I am in the Brampton area right next to ya. I have spoken to Jamie about you and I cannot wait to meet you. I am also running a T4
2.6 with Sharp Shroud. When can we meet???? I am off Sandy Beach which is off Brisdale one street over from you. U Say When & I am ready.
Thanks............

Big up yardie...........Mandeville area.
Old June 26th 2005, 20:02

911 shroud

Hey Yardie,
Glad you could join in. How does that 2.6ltr run/feel,i am also thinking of running on in the near future. I am in portmore St Catherine. Do you have any problems with head temps and the sharpbuilt shroud. Who built your engine what's the top speed.
Old June 27th 2005, 12:09

I have all the parts but havent built it as yet. This will be my winter project.
But it should be a trip for sure......Are you the guy at Vernam Field with the Burgendy Bug? I was living in the Manchester area and just moved back to the North 2 years ago and started my little project :agree:
Respect.......It's a 56 Oval with T1 Tricked out Tranny and The T4 78x103's

Hey Sandeep you gotta contact me! Hey I am one street over from ya. Just send me a link and will be ready any time......
Old June 27th 2005, 12:16
Administrator

Great work Sandeep :agree:
The 911 fan shroud needs just that kind of R&D. It is good to know someone can get it to work as good as it looks.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 27th 2005, 14:33
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback and comments guys. I'm sure I could make this setup work even better. The next step is to use a pulley ratio to drive the fan slower, as recommended by Jake, and then take another datalog and see the effects.

I could also tweak the diverters a bit more as the yarn tufts look to be pointing in the right direction, but I can't see all of them due to the visibility through the spinning fan. The key to making this 911 setup work is air distribution on the 3-4 side ... thats where I have been spending all of the time in development.

I MAY cut an access panel on the 3-4 side and then replace the panel with a clear piece of plastic, just so I can see whats going on in there. I can always order a replacement shroud from FAT ... we will see. Actually, now that I think about this, it sure would speed up the development ... no more removing the alternator/diverter assembly just to make a tweak ... and in a beetle, you can't see the back of the shroud anyways.

I'm out of town till the weekend so can't upload the pics till I get back.

Big Daddy,

Send me an email to ssyan (at) digitalminds (dot) ca and we'll hook up after the weekend, as I would really like to see the '56 oval. My winter project is to install my Megasquirt/Turbo setup on the T4

Sandeep
Old June 27th 2005, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy
I have all the parts but havent built it as yet. This will be my winter project.
But it should be a trip for sure......Are you the guy at Vernam Field with the Burgendy Bug? I was living in the Manchester area and just moved back to the North 2 years ago and started my little project :agree:
Respect.......It's a 56 Oval with T1 Tricked out Tranny and The T4 78x103's

Hey Sandeep you gotta contact me! Hey I am one street over from ya. Just send me a link and will be ready any time......
No i wish i was though. That's damian's bug he migrated to the US 3 yrs ago. The car's with him i understand, it now has a rotary engine in it ( a pitty ).
Old July 23rd 2005, 08:43

Any pics of the end result there Sandeep?
Old February 5th 2006, 05:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
Wierd .... I just installed the factory 911 alternator cap with 2 diverters into the FAT shroud .... it fits with NO modifications and the back and top of the diverters hug the back of the shroud .... almost like the shroud was made to fit this like a glove.

Now for a road test/logging session to see if it amounts to anything positive.

Sandeep
have to bump up this thread again,new to this site and must admit its excellent reading.i would love to see the picture of this 911 2 divider cap if some one has one handy.
Old February 5th 2006, 11:03
Administrator

Long awaited pics of modifications

Here are some pics of the mods ...

The shroud looks pretty rough after all of the mods, so I'll fix the holes with fibreglass and then get it repainted.

Sandeep