GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 22nd 2005, 11:46

Front end rebuilding...

Well, after replacing my master cylinder, I inspected my front end. I put my tire back on and it had like an interval shimmy...in that, it shimmied slightly, then like every other second, there'd be one HARD shimmy. So I rotated the tire 180 degrees and it's close to/back to the regular shimmy I had to use a factory jack, so I couldn't exactly give all the tire positions a try in a timely manner But when I get the chance to get to my good jack, as a temp fix, I'll try out the other tire positions.

The tires are balanced, but I didn't put on the tire in the same position is was in so the shimmy is SLIGHTLY worse than it was....

Well, it looks to DEFINITLY need a rebuild. On the driver side, when jacked up, you can jiggle the wheel side to side. I looked at the tie rods, yeah, the little nut with cotter pin on the front, you can sit there and watch it wiggle when you wiggle the wheel.

All the other bushings are fine...well, you can't get them to budge at all...sway bar, steering damper...all fine.

This sucks....

So my question is. Where is the absolute cheapest place to get the parts needed for a front end rebuild?

I was just browsing the MAM catalog and saw they had a front end rebuild kit for $180....my front end doesn't really need inserts as it's not bouncy or anything, it may need a steering damper and probably balljoints, but otherwise is it just better to get the total Urethane kit and new balljoints and damper?